Weber Genesis alternative

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
A friend is looking to purchase a gas grill for their new house, a Weber Genesis is an easy to find locally option but if one were looking to up the quality a little bit, what other options are there? I saw a Napoleon Prestige on Amazon for $1249 that looks pretty nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Napoleon-P500RSIBPCH-3-Prestige-Propane-Infrared/dp/B07MHVK5BM/

I believe I saw a thread about Napoleon recently and it seemed like there was mixed reviews, although the reviews on Amazon for Napoleon grills seem pretty positive.

I’ve had a 4 burner Weber Genesis since 2007 and it looks and performs nearly as well as the day I brought it home.
It does take some effort every Spring to maintain this appearance and performance but it’s no different than the effort put forth to make a car or truck last a long time.

MHP and Broilmaster are both thicker aluminum bodied grills that are a little heavier built than a Napoleon or Genesis. Have thicker castings and grates, and burn a little hotter. I had a Broilmaster for the last 25 years, and was never covered, living all of its life out in the elements. Didn’t clean it all that regular earthier. It’s just a tough grill. It survived half of its life in the north mid Atlantic area with some real winter and a fair bit of snow, and last half of its live in hot humid Florida. It would have still been going except I cracked the aluminum housing during a move (750 miles). It still worked fine for another dozen years, but finally bit the ghost last summer, and replaced with the Genesis. The Genesis has a few more modern touches that the 25 year old Broilmaster didn’t have (new Broilmaster have a few more features also). However, I would say the Broilmaster cooked a little better. It would give a better sear, and seemed a little more flexible. I don’t use the gasser nearly as much as I used to though, so that was one of the reasons I went with a little less priced option, plus I just wanted something different after 25 years. The Weber would never last 25 years treated the same way.

MHP and Broilmaster are both thicker aluminum bodied grills that are a little heavier built than a Napoleon or Genesis. Have thicker castings and grates, and burn a little hotter. I had a Broilmaster for the last 25 years, and was never covered, living all of its life out in the elements. Didn’t clean it all that regular earthier. It’s just a tough grill. It survived half of its life in the north mid Atlantic area with some real winter and a fair bit of snow, and last half of its live in hot humid Florida. It would have still been going except I cracked the aluminum housing during a move (750 miles). It still worked fine for another dozen years, but finally bit the ghost last summer, and replaced with the Genesis. The Genesis has a few more modern touches that the 25 year old Broilmaster didn’t have (new Broilmaster have a few more features also). However, I would say the Broilmaster cooked a little better. It would give a better sear, and seemed a little more flexible. I don’t use the gasser nearly as much as I used to though, so that was one of the reasons I went with a little less priced option, plus I just wanted something different after 25 years. The Weber would never last 25 years treated the same way.

The Weber would have lasted that long.

The Weber would have lasted that long.

I beg to differ. Not with the little care I gave the Broilmaster. If cared for better, maybe the Genesis would. This is a Genesis II that I am comparing to. Maybe the older Genesis were built heavier.

The Broilmaster was beefier in every way.

I’m probably going to go with Napoleon when I replace my Genesis. The Prestige is the most likely version - in the 665 in my case.

Someone posted getting a good deal on one through greentoe.com recently

I put my hands on the Napoleons. Quality is on par with Weber but has a couple of extra features. I would probably look at Broil King as well.

I love my Napoleon. It is built like a tank, lights easy, heats evenly and cleans quickly. The rotisserie and rear IR burner is fantastic, a definite must have.

Wife wanted to get her folks a grill (FIL’s birthday) and asked me to order a Napoleon like mine - I sent him a Weber.

Back