THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks TC! Do you burn logs in there or just charcoal? I have a WSM, so have done a ton of vertical charcoal smoking. Realize its world's better than the WSM but just wanted to try something different.

Last edited:
You have the opportunity to check out Meadowcreek right in Sarasota. Pinecreek BBQ is right on Bahia Vista, they have in-stock units and you can judge for yourself. I think they're quite well made.

Thanks TC! Do you burn logs in there or just charcoal? I have a WSM, so have done a ton of vertical charcoal smoking. Realize its world's better than the WSM but just wanted to try something different.

I use charcoal and wood chunks in mine, which was the original design. I do know others have used just splits in it, but had trouble with temp control. That learning curve was a bit steeper.
I also have a WSM 22 so the learning curve was not that bad. I also got a BBQ Guru to help with the temp control, and that made my cooks a lot easier.
Given that the cook chamber is seperate from the cook chamber your temp control is so much easier, unlike the direct flow from the WSM.
AS far as Meadowcreeks build, they are individually hand made and it is an Amish company, so the quality is spot on.

That Marketplace smoker looks nice...except, and I can't definitively tell from the photos, but the collector looks really narrow top to bottom - so much so that I wonder if it creates a bottleneck where it joins up with the stack such that it effectively narrows the stack diameter from a flow perspective, i.e., the cross sectional area of the collector/stack junction point perpendicular to the direction of flow needs to be at least as large as the cross sectional area of the stack to avoid creating a flow restriction.

That Marketplace smoker looks nice...except, and I can't definitively tell from the photos, but the collector looks really narrow top to bottom - so much so that I wonder if it creates a bottleneck where it joins up with the stack such that it effectively narrows the stack diameter from a flow perspective, i.e., the cross sectional area of the collector/stack junction point perpendicular to the direction of flow needs to be at least as large as the cross sectional area of the stack to avoid creating a flow restriction.

I thought it should be a bit taller also but when you look at how wide it is, that may make up for some of the top to bottom distance. It appears in several of the photos that it is almost 3/4 of the width of the chamber which I believe is 24" since he says the fire box is 24'. I bet it will cook just fine as is but I would have made it a bit taller if I was building it. Still.....the price....I'm surprised nobody has bought it yet.

I know the owners/builders of Meadowcreek The Amish do amazing work That BX50 of TC's is a beast I have been with someone who used it for his BBQ Comps Holds an amazing amount of food and did really well This person also sold Meadowcreek products I use to have one of there small offsets Had a lot of fun with it

I thought it should be a bit taller also but when you look at how wide it is, that may make up for some of the top to bottom distance...

It may very well cook great, but the key parameter for preventing a bottleneck is the area of the two dimensional cross-section where the collector meets the stack. This applies regardless of how wide the collector mouth is when it joins with the cook chamber.

So for this particular smoker with a 6-inch stack (I don't know the exact inner diameter, but 6 inches is fine for the purposes of this discussion), the flow area is 28.3 square inches. As such, where the collector meets the stack, the area of that opening in the collector needs to be at least 28.3 square inches to prevent creating a flow restriction. This would mean the collector dimensions need to be approximately 6 inches wide by 5 inches tall to avoid a restriction. The top smoker builders seem to understand this point about collector "tallness", but I have noticed some less experienced builders don't seem to get it.

Back