Weapon of Choice for smoked turkey?

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
Last year I smoked my first couple of turkeys on my WSM (can't remember if I used the water pan or not). I know that if I smoke the Turkey on it this year I would definitely go without a water pan because it helps crisp up the skin and does amazing on chicken. However, I now also have my Rec Teq 590. I have seen mentions on here of people doing turkeys on their pellet grills. So the question is should I go WSM no water pan about 375* or on the pellet grill indirect at 400* or so. Which do you believe would deliver the superior bird? TIA.

I'm a live fire kind of guy, but poultry is hard to beat on a pellet smoker as the light smoke profile is perfect and nearly impossible to over smoke. Poultry is the man reason I even own a pellet grill.

My advice would be to do a test run on each with some chickens.
Do the same brine, rub, basting or what ever you will do on the turkey to create your flavor profile. Which ever smoker/grill you like best with the chicken go with that unit for your turkey.

Just make sure each chicken is done exactly the same.

I'm a live fire kind of guy, but poultry is hard to beat on a pellet smoker as the light smoke profile is perfect and nearly impossible to over smoke. Poultry is the man reason I even own a pellet grill.

When smoking a turkey on your pellet smoker, do you use the extreme smoke any or go straight high temp the entire cook?

After many years of using my Traeger for Thanksgiving turkey, last year I boned out the bird, rolled and tied after a three day dry brine and cooked it on my 22” Weber OTG using Royal Oak lump and cherry wood for smoke. Crisp skin, plenty of smoke flavor and very easy to cut and serve. Will be doing that again this year.

After many years of using my Traeger for Thanksgiving turkey, last year I boned out the bird, rolled and tied after a three day dry brine and cooked it on my 22” Weber OTG using Royal Oak lump and cherry wood for smoke. Crisp skin, plenty of smoke flavor and very easy to cut and serve. Will be doing that again this year.

Were you ever able to get crispy skin on your Traeger?

Live fire guy here these days, but I had great success in the past using my Memphis Elite and Yoder pellet grills. I smoke roasted them spatched cock...Ran about 400-425 and used a smoke tube. Best turkeys I’ve ever had. This year, they will go on the stick burner and see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My 14.5” WSM is used almost exclusively for poultry, cooked in a vertical position.

Here is an 19lb turkey cooking in it

cda9fd2403eb79e2bf61798bfdc2555f.jpg

I haven’t found anything better

As of right now the best turkey (actually breast) I've done was in my Old Smokey electric drum. That's why I keep it around. Mild smoke, bite through skin, very moist cooking environment ideal for poultry. You don't have to gamble with this little cooker on the big day, it always delivers for every palate at the table.

Back