Contest Announcment WBQA World Championchips 2011 in Germany

Don Marco

is Blowin Smoke!
Howdy folks...

This weekend the german BBQ association released the regulations for the WBQA Championchips held in Gronau, Germany in May 2011

Heres the regulations, please take your time to read them and tell me what you think about them

http://www.gbaev.de/php/download.php?f=906fc0e9b3aac56e43c3f188756f96c2

*note* i am not responsible for farking up the KCBS rules or anything regarding the regulations, i would just like to know if you would consider hopping over the pond :roll:

So long,

DM

The regulations are so interesting! How are the required sides usually prepared? Is it *just* the required item, or do teams usually fancy them up -- i.e., garlic bread, or the required chive cottage cheese but with additional items?

For the sides, all you get is whats in the announcements - potatoes, corncobs, tomatoes, garlic, cream and cottage cheese. Only spices and seasonings are allowed, no additional ingredients.
Cant wait to try some recipes with a garlic cream stuffed tomato. :crazy:

The rules are just plain nuts in my opinion.

Having to build 6 presentation boxes ( + 4 plates for the guests at the booth) for each category and then serving the meat incl. some side dishes that dont leavy any room for creativity to a jury of people who never heard anything of real Barbecue at all is just a waste of time in my opinion.
Its not that we have any certified judges over here and to the general public, wich makes about 80 % of the judges, slow smoked BBQ is very very uncommon.

I think they wanted to move closer to the KCBS rules ( wich is generally a good thing) without even understanding them or having any respect towards them.

DM

It's apparent that the organizers don't quite understand the competition population -- while many teams have the cooking capacity to put out 10 boxes' worth of food, smaller teams (like ours -- 2 people/4WSMs) are going to be left out in the cold. They probably have some vague idea that nobody would be doing this unless they have a restaurant and staff.

I absolutely agree that requiring side dishes yet permitting no creativity defeats their purpose.

However, all events and organizations have growth issues, and I'm sure these are just some of the bugs that will get worked out with repetition. Perhaps looking toward next year, they would be open to suggestions after this year's experience, and welcome some more experienced input on the rules -- maybe even conduct a judging class in advance.

It does look like they have their stuff together on the requirements of the venue, and I bet it's going to be a cool event. Isn't it pretty in Gronau in May? Or am I thinking more of June?

Best wishes for a successful event, I'll be looking forward to hearing how it comes off!

Back