Waitin' for the white to turn blue

If your wood is "burning" rather than smoldering, you will get white smoke. You will also get white smoke when your Q drippings land on your fuel pile. It's not UDS specific, this happens to me on my bubba keg at times. Also the manager of a well known BBQ chain in TX (Rudy's BBQ) once told me that they pre-burn their oak wood, otherwise it will turn the meat black. This is probably important if wood is your primary fuel.

How long has it been in? Bump it up 30* and eat at 9pm! Pork butt can take the extra heat and still come out fine.

How long has it been in? Bump it up 30* and eat at 9pm! Pork butt can take the extra heat and still come out fine.

Started at 10:40am. It is now 6:20, and still sitting at 144*. I'm guessing it must be in the stall since it has been sitting there for the last couple hours.

On my UDS, I always wait for the white smoke to turn blue. However, when I remove the lid and pit the meat on, it will always turm white for about 30 minutes and then go blue again. The food tastes great.

thats really good to know because i use a water bowl so no drippings hit the fire and when i put the meat on, it smokes for bout 20 min or so then goes blue again. lolol

update. sitting at 165*. Can it really be taking this long? sheez. I think my stall hit about 144*. It sat there for a couple hours before it started to move again.

I feel for you. I've had 4#shoulders take 12 hours @ 225. Check your pit temps, I'd try running it at 250-275. Foil is also an option to speed things up. Most of mine have stalled at about 160. Keep us updated.

Results..pron

Well, I started my 6.8lb shoulder-butt at 10:40am. Running 225-250*. It took forever and finally at 1:40am, my charcoal ran out and my temps started dropping. The meat temp was at 192*. That time of night, I wasn't fooling with it anymore. (early morning coming up) I took it off , basted with some apple cider and wrapped in foil and a towel, and put it in a cooler. It sat there in the cooler until 6:30am when I got up. I unwrapped and shredded. Here are the results:
Best bark I've ever had. (took the advise of not foiling). When I took it off, the bone did not move. Probably needed to get it up to 200 or so, (which is what I was shooting for), but it went way too long, and my fuel ran out. It did shread ok, and the flavor was great.
All advise is welcome.

View attachment 52382

View attachment 52383

View attachment 52384

View attachment 52385

Last edited:
Looks pretty good and worth the wait.. talk about a stubborn butt heh?:wink:

Looks great!
Sometimes I throw on the meat on when the smoke's still white....I had no problems with an off taste or something.

Back