Wait 18-24 months for a Shirley or build local in CA?

Hey guys, sorry I have been MIA the past few days. I decided to pull the trigger on the Shirley. I mailed my deposit today, and Paul will be the one doing the build. I'm really excited, and glad I did so much research on this forum before making my decision.

I will say, I spoke with both KAT and California Customer Smokers. Both guys were great, and I enjoyed my discussions and input from them. Both Ken from Kat and Mike from California Custom Smokers are great guys, and know their stuff. If any of you CA Brethren are looking for a well-build smoker without crazy shipping costs, these guys are both great options.

With that said, I am stoked for my upcoming Shirley!

Hey guys, sorry I have been MIA the past few days. I decided to pull the trigger on the Shirley. I mailed my deposit today, and Paul will be the one doing the build. I'm really excited, and glad I did so much research on this forum before making my decision.

I will say, I spoke with both KAT and California Customer Smokers. Both guys were great, and I enjoyed my discussions and input from them. Both Ken from Kat and Mike from California Custom Smokers are great guys, and know their stuff. If any of you CA Brethren are looking for a well-build smoker without crazy shipping costs, these guys are both great options.

Best decision you could have made IMHO. Welcome to the family.

Congrats brother !! Now let the torture of waiting and watching everyone else get theirs begin :becky:

I was fortunate to only have about 4-5 month wait last yr with Paul. Worked out great for me. Was in Mn on vacation visiting family. I left there and went to down to the Shirleys and headed home with that bad boy. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone. 1of the Best drives home ive ever had :becky:

...Paul will be the one doing the build.

First of all congratulations! :clap: Just curious, does that mean that Paul will do the build from start to finish or does he do some of the work and then he oversees some of the work? Also, did you choose Paul because of less lead time or do some people prefer Paul's work over Tyler's? I know this question was asked before and I know they both do outstanding work but I can't remember if some preferred one person's work over the other.

It sounds like you have your mind set but don't want to wait... eventually your name is going on that list. Instead of buying that new smoker then reselling it for half the cost, can you find a used one at half the cost? Then resell the used smoker once the shirley is done? The used prices are probably more stable and if you want to unload it there will be less of a discount.

I'd rather want a smoker I don't (yet) have than have one I don't want.
If you want a shirley then you'll be alright while you wait.

First of all congratulations! :clap: Just curious, does that mean that Paul will do the build from start to finish or does he do some of the work and then he oversees some of the work? Also, did you choose Paul because of less lead time or do some people prefer Paul's work over Tyler's? I know this question was asked before and I know they both do outstanding work but I can't remember if some preferred one person's work over the other.

It doesn't matter who does the build, the end result is the same. About the only thing you could even compare between a Tyler cooker or Paul cooker is weld quality, which is off the charts for both men. Their dime stacks may look a little different, but other than that, a Shirley cooker is a Shirley cooker.

Paul or Tyler do the bulk of the fabrication on their cookers. I know they do hand off some of the build work to the other guys... Like cookgrates, firebaskets etc, but for the most part, Paul will build a Paul cooker, or Tyler will build a Tyler cooker. My first one was a Tyler, my second one was a Paul. (But I think Jaden connected my Firebox to the warmer) Oh, there is one exception, I think Tyler assembles all the insulated fireboxes.. Anyways, both were masterpieces!

Paul or Tyler do the bulk of the fabrication on their cookers...

I would be fine with either one of their work. I just wouldn't want to place an order and find out 2 years from now that their company has grown to the point where they have hired more people and the end product isn't at the level I'm seeing today.

I would be fine with either one of their work. I just wouldn't want to place an order and find out 2 years from now that their company has grown to the point where they have hired more people and the end product isn't at the level I'm seeing today.

:laugh: Sorry I shouldn't laugh, but you obviously have not met Paul or Tyler. That's not going to happen... Ever. I've never known anyone as picky and exacting as them Shirley boys. Working for Paul is no picnic, but the results speak for themselves. He expects perfection from everyone that works for him, and if it ain't perfect, you're going to do it until it is. Every cooker, every weld, is how its supposed to be. And if its not, Paul would fly to your house, rent a welder, and make it right. This isn't me feeding some myth, this is a fact. He's done it. I don't recommend many things, but You can buy from Shirley Fabrication with total confidence.

Its part of the reason that they have been so slow to grow, its pretty hard to find workers who live up to Paul and Tyler's expectations.

And as to the deposit, the whole point of a deposit is that it is non refundable. That being said, Paul would probably give it back if you took advantage of his generous nature.

I don't make it a habit of placing a deposit on something unless I plan on following through with my end of the deal but stuff happens and two years is a long time. I was just curious about the procedure but I don't like wasting people's time. If something happened on my end where I couldn't start the build, I wouldn't ask for the money back.

i was under the impression that Paul does the smaller cookers between his full time job. as far as quality goes...as long as the last name is Shirley it will not really matter. mine was mostly done by Ross Shirley, Tyler's little brother, and the welds are just as perfect as any you will see on another SF.

on the deposit...i would almost bet money that someone would buy your spot in line if that wasn't an issue for Paul or Tyler.

Back