*** Vote - BBQ Brethren "Independence Day!" Throwdown! - Vote ***

*** Vote - BBQ Brethren "Independence Day!" Throwdown! - Vote ***

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Folks, let the Mods deal with the DQ part. When I think of Independence Day, I think of grilling outdoors, fireworks, cold beer and the good OL' USA! What we grill could be anything.
I'd hit any of those.

Bob

thank you Bob.

I'll assume my chicken is one of the dishes that some feel don't meet the theme. Just because it's not something you would cook for July 4th, doesn't mean it's not something anybody would cook. If I were entertaining a few friends, I would absolutely not hesitate to throw a few birds on the spit for them...it's easy, requires no attention, and is always a crowd pleaser.

Folks, let the Mods deal with the DQ part. When I think of Independence Day, I think of grilling outdoors, fireworks, cold beer and the good OL' USA! What we grill could be anything.
I'd hit any of those.

Bob

Ok.
I care little about DQ etc ,but answer me here.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206587
what is independence day food in the states.
Not a Chit stirring post but genuine.
Is there a history of food for this celebration

back to your usual viewing:becky:

These all look good One of the benefits of not being able to make a decision is that you look at these again :biggrin1:

I'll assume my chicken is one of the dishes that some feel don't meet the theme. Just because it's not something you would cook for July 4th, doesn't mean it's not something anybody would cook. If I were entertaining a few friends, I would absolutely not hesitate to throw a few birds on the spit for them...it's easy, requires no attention, and is always a crowd pleaser.

No! I thought your entry was very good and in my top 2. :thumb:

Lots of people post why they voted a certain way or not and many state that one or the other entry/entries fit or didn't fit the category in their opinions. That's all I did here folks but I'm getting blasted for it. I'm not asking or suggesting that anybody should be DQ'd, I'm actually against special rules DQ's and I was referring to Special rules violation(s). I get it that we all cook different things on different occasions, heck if any of you would come to my place on the fourth I would be serving grilled sardines with boiled potatoes and molho cru, not very red white and blue but comfort food where I come from, I've even entered it in a TD before.

Differing opinions are still valid opinions so lets not read too much into it, take a chill pill and rock on.

I've stayed out of this so far, but I feel that I have to point out one thing this this clusterfark was my idea.

The category is open, so there can be no special rules violations. My intent was to allow the cook the flexibility to show something that they would cook for friends and family for a celebration.

Cook something that you would typically serve at an Independence Day celebration. Anything goes as long as standard TD rules are followed.

It doesn't say that the food has to be the voter's idea of what they would serve, it is what the cook would serve, and that's all that matters.

OK... back to lurking.

That's how it used to be "open to interpretation" but the special rules became to literal and it was no longer open to the cooks interpretation but rather how it's worded or what was the persons intent that called the category. I like it when it's open to the cooks interpretation, you get a lot of out of the box thinking and really unique entries.

The category is open, so there can be no special rules violations. My intent was to allow the cook the flexibility to show something that they would cook for friends and family for a celebration.

Thanks Ron for reinforcing my point I made earlier not that there is anything wrong with implied or intended intent in fact I think the category chooser's intent is very important. I'll elaborate on this later but not here.

It doesn't say that the food has to be the voter's idea of what they would serve, it is what the cook would serve, and that's all that matters

Not at all what I was saying, I do however feel everyone should just....

Vote for Sardines!

thank you Bob.

I'd put a couple birds on for those same reasons. PLUS, those smokey, roasted veggies did it for me...........as well as that crispy skin just begging to be pulled off as a chef's treat! It got my vote.:thumb:

Ok.
I care little about DQ etc ,but answer me here.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206587
what is independence day food in the states.
Not a Chit stirring post but genuine.
Is there a history of food for this celebration

back to your usual viewing:becky:

Just me, but the usual would be things like burgers, hot dogs, brats, apple pie and it goes on from there, steaks, ribs. But then, we might cook stuff like discada, carnitas, etc so that's why for me it could be anything. But, we do toss on a few dogs or burgers. Maybe some apple empanadas too!:thumb:

There were some mighty fine entries here. I was torn between that chili cheese dog and steak but then those mussels began to speak to me and that was it Awesome TD

All I can say is I wish I was at youz guyzez 4th celebrations! I've never seen such good lookin food at mine growing up! Usually burgers and dogs amd maybe some chicken. Great work everyone!

I'm embarrassed to explain what I like - The homemade Waffle Fries from Jed were "calling me". I still haven't voted. I can't believe it, it's HARD to vote in TDS!
All good entries.
I want to say Fantom - May I have a thigh?
Bevo +
Der Heusker call as well.

All amazing entries, so congrats guys! Every single one of them has been on our patio table for 4th of July at one time or another. Changed my vote a couple of times until I hit the one that did it for me. BTW... the chicken was one of those couple of times. :thumb:

Back