Viet-Inspired Pork/Kimchi pancake

Now just what do you think you're trying to pull? I distinctly see a can of spam in your bag of groceries, but there is no span in your recipe. I know some chefs hold back a few secrets, but I really didn't think you were the type, ... until now. :tsk:

Bob, is it traditionally lime that gives that distinctive tang to the Korean Pancakes? I always wondered what made it zingy. The tang reminds me of buttermilk.

Gore, the spam is used in my special rub, it adds that something je ne sais quoia to my rub.

Rob, no, time for a kimchi lesson.

There are three prevalent styles of kimchi currently on the market, pickled, aged and fermented. This comes from a study that was performed in the 70's into the 90's that looked at the prevalence of stomach cancer in Korea. The old wives tale that got started, and somehow did not get dis-proven was that fermented kimchi was the cause. I consider this bad science. Still, two other techniques were developed to make kimchi, and in fact, most of the kimchi we get now are dead culture pickled or aged kimchis, which rely on vinegar or a short cold ferment and pasturization. These versions have a slight sour taste, but, have much more of a pickled taste. The dominant flavor in these is often pure heat and sugar. There has been a resurgence in the traditional hot fermented kimchi version in our area, these are live culture versions that have a distinct fermented flavor, with a significant tang as well, due to the microbiological activity. This is, actually, what makes the kimchi at our favorite Korean place so good.

J Don, the reason for the burial of the crocks is to create the ideal environment for fermentation to occur, anyone who has been to Korea and understands the climate, understands that the environment of Korea is quite harsh and variable. Traditionally, the houses were also of light construction. By burying the crock, the temperatures in the earth stay constant at a certain depth. If you go down 3 to 4 feet, you find temperature stay around or just below 70 degrees in Spring and Fall, down 6 to 7 feet and you are looking at 70 year round. We can ferment kimchi in our houses, as we have climate controlled environments. Just make sure it is cool, dry and dark. My grandmother had controlled ferments of various things under her kitchen sink for just this reason.

Back