THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pjess50

Knows what a fatty is.
I had opportunity to cut down a small, dead apple tree this morning out of a local church orchard. I thought this would be awesome and so took my saw and drove my 1994 Land Cruiser (heavy truck) back into the orchard and started doing my thing, not noticing that they had started the irrigation. Ended up having to cross through the irrigated partsto get out and I almost made it... until I sank to the axles.
A friend with a diesel GMC 4x4 tried to pull me out and we ended up breaking two tow straps. Meanwhile, i stupidly left my phone on top of a different vehicle which drove off...i found my phone about 1/4 mile down the road and of course, someone had run over it. I ended up calling a tow truck (borrowed phone) and he winched me out.
So let's tally everything up:
$78 for the tow truck
$550 pay off the old phone and buy a cheapo one to replace.
$20 at the car wash spraying off the truck on the outside and underneath
$20 to replace my buddy's tow straps (I won't count the cost of my strap that broke.

Total is $668 for some really nice apple wood chunks. I'm so pleased! :doh:
I actually had a lot of fun playing with the chainsaw and getting muddy so all is not lost!

Attachments

• 14941059721111.jpg
    14941059721111.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 498
  • 20170506_124139.jpg
    20170506_124139.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 500
  • 20170506_125644.jpg
    20170506_125644.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 501
  • 20170506_134211.jpg
    20170506_134211.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 498
Wow.....

Sorry for your mishap.....

Most orchards trim/cut in January, but in Arizona I don't think there will be cold frozen ground to stop you from sinking.

I feel your pain. I have had several (mis)adventures that ended not so glamorously. Hey, it can only get better from here, right?

Wow.....

Sorry for your mishap.....

Most orchards trim/cut in January, but in Arizona I don't think there will be cold frozen ground to stop you from sinking.

Yes, it's 97 degrees here today... yesterday was 108. It was dead wood so no trimming, just removal.
I'm just thankful to have a job and so can afford to screw up once in a while.

Just wait until they send you the bill for filling in the ruts you made in their orchard.:shock:

Boy that stinks. But the apple wood chunks look nice!

If it makes you feel any better, I once spent the better part of two days with a buddy bringing down a huge oak tree, and chopping it up into nice splits. I bought a chain saw for the job. Rented a splitter too. It was my first tree, all very exciting. Only after we started splitting did we find out it wasn't oak. We split down a full cord of.... wait for it.... cottonwood!!!

Four years later, most of is still in my backyard.

Boy that stinks. But the apple wood chunks look nice!

If it makes you feel any better, I once spent the better part of two days with a buddy bringing down a huge oak tree, and chopping it up into nice splits. I bought a chain saw for the job. Rented a splitter too. It was my first tree, all very exciting. Only after we started splitting did we find out it wasn't oak. We split down a full cord of.... wait for it.... cottonwood!!!

Four years later, most of is still in my backyard.

This is awsome!

I was just given a lead on some Apple trees I can have if I cut and haul. Will make mental note not to repeat. Hope your cook goes better.

Back