THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

robert-r

is Blowin Smoke!
We love our Tacos AL Pastor & have made them by hanging in the WSM. Since Al Pastor / Gyro cookers are pricey, I thought I'd make one. I dithered for quite a while deciding between charcoal or propane for a heat source. Decided on charcoal because propane rotisserie burners would necessitate a larger cooker.

So it's a work-in-progress. Size is approximately 12"x12"x19". Used 1/8" scrapyard steel.

PICT2610_zpseoqrffqf.jpg

PICT2625_zps8swdgxtw.jpg

It should hold about 40 lit charcoal briquetts. The slots above/behind the charcoal baskets are for adding fuel as necessary during a cook. I'm planning on filling the baskets & lighting them with a weed burner.

PICT2631_zps83l6dnmg.jpg

PICT2649_zps9bhfpmhh.jpg

PICT2662_zpsqw1jpl5x.jpg

So the next step is to fire it up and place a probe to determine how far from the heat source is 300*. That should give me an idea of where to locate the spit. I plan on putting the rotisserie motor underneath the cooker. That's the reason for the firebrick.

I'm a little concerned that I didn't allow enough space for the briquettes. Time will tell, I'm sure.

Any comments / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Nice!!

I'll be keeping up with this thread. That is simplicity at it's best and a roti set up I would spend money on for sure!!

I have had a project like that in mind for a while, but the actual motor, etc is what has me wondering. I thought about up top, but thought the heat from the metal surface would be too much for the motor and wiring. Underneath would be the best place, but trying a to figure out a way to keep juices etc from dripping all over the place was a concern. I'm thinking that welding a circular plate, to the spit itself would solve that issue and then maybe a larger disposable foil pan or even a pizza pan under that would catch anything dripping off the edges. The fire brick is an even better idea! Plus, the brick will help the heat from getting to the motor.
One tweak I would make would be a smaller catch area under the expanded metal for the ashes to fall into and then maybe another sliding door on the back to scoop the ashes out as they build up. That way you won't have a bunch of ash build up on the bricks or under the bottom spit plate.

Another thought came to mind......maybe even a large, thick piece of clay tile might do the trick as well. Versus the fire brick. Easier cut and no seams. Hmm.....really cool thread and build. Lots of possibilities.

The distance from the meat and heat source probably won't need to be too much. Maybe 5 inches or so.

If you don't mind, I may "borrow" some of your ideas........I have some plate steel and expanded metal sitting around the house!

Awesome job!

Bob

Last edited:
I'll be keeping up with this thread. That is simplicity at it's best and a roti set up I would spend money on for sure!!

I have had a project like that in mind for a while, but the actual motor, etc is what has me wondering. I thought about up top, but thought the heat from the metal surface would be too much for the motor and wiring. Underneath would be the best place, but trying a to figure out a way to keep juices etc from dripping all over the place was a concern. I'm thinking that welding a circular plate, to the spit itself would solve that issue and then maybe a larger disposable foil pan or even a pizza pan under that would catch anything dripping off the edges. The fire brick is an even better idea! Plus, the brick will help the heat from getting to the motor.
One tweak I would make would be a smaller catch area under the expanded metal for the ashes to fall into and then maybe another sliding door on the back to scoop the ashes out as they build up. That way you won't have a bunch of ash build up on the bricks or under the bottom spit plate.

The distance from the meat and heat source probably won't need to be too much. Maybe 5 inches or so.

If you don't mind, I may "borrow" some of your ideas........I have some plate steel and expanded metal sitting around the house!

Awesome job!

Bob

Thank you & thanks for your comments.

I'm planning on using Stubbs, Kingsford Lump or Professional for the coals. Hopefully that should keep ash buildup to a minimum.

I'm thinking that drippings from the meat won't be too big of a problem. Most of it will be on the perimeter of the stack which will be supported on a metal plate. Will use a pie pan on the floor of the cooker, for sure. Could also make a "skirt" for the spit to keep juices from running down it & into the motor.

You got my attention when you mentioned that the meat would probably be 5" away from the coals. Hope not... I'll might have to build an addition if that is the case.

Feel free to use anything you see of value. One reason I posted this build was to get feedback & learn from it.

Yeah,

5 inches would probably be the max estimate. Would probably be in the 2-3 inch range depending on the final area of the circular base and how wide you will stack and spread out the meat on it.

Closer would be better as that will cook and crisp up the outside area much quicker.

As for the drippings, you are right. They would only be on the outside edge of the base plate and could easily be scrapped or brushed off as you cook.

Your fabricating skills are pretty nice as well!:thumb: The grinder is my best friend when it comes to welding. :grin:

Bob

I loaded the cooker with Stubbs (38 briquettes total), lit it with a weed burner & set some probes at 2" from the charcoal baskets. After 1/2 hour temps were at 171* (bottom probe) & 172* (top probe). Another 1/2 hour they were 202* (bottom) & 192* (top). Also added 8 unlit briquettes to the bottom & 5 to the top basket.

PICT2669_zpst5rk5rit.jpg

Moved the probes to 1" from heat source... temps were 179* (bottom) & 201* (top).

45 minutes later... temps were 170* (bottom) & 198* (top).

PICT2674_zpshfsl3eeh.jpg

So.... It seems like I need to make the charcoal baskets about 2 times as deep. Need to consider burning wood chunks. I'm wanting to cook at 300*. Ash buildup is now a concern.
Will have to make a trip to the scrap metal yards in search of some expanded metal. Will report back asap.

To turn the spit, you might consider a gear setup on the top similar to the whirley-pop popcorn popper. You can mount the motor away from the heat and won't need to worry about anything but bushings and bearings near the heat.

whirley-pop-popcorn-popper-13.gif

Back