Valentine's Day Dinner

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
It was time to make use of these steaks which were intended for Christmas Dinner but plans changed and into the freezer they went. They've become Valentine's Day Dinner.

Ready for seasoning after a few hours in the fridge with a dry brine -

r4rBZ6l.jpg

The seasoning of choice today is a dash of Worcestershire, followed by Oakridge Santa Maria. I can tell these are gonna be good -

L5g7x48.jpg

The Weber is fired up for duty. My usual setup with the SnS and the Craycort CI grates. Outside temps late this afternoon were around 16F with a brisk wind. Anything for a good steak dinner -

Rxea0MC.jpg

Time for a reverse sear -

Pwp46fq.jpg

I temp'd them while they were over the fire, up around 145-150 which is overdone as far as I'm concerned. Damn. Did I ruin some good pieces of meat?

Nope! Nicely rare. Whew! -

ECN46sn.jpg

Plated pic -

KF84Del.jpg

All in all an excellent Valentine's Day dinner for the Mrs and me. Not too shabby for a Monday night. :wink:

Thanks for checking in on today's dinner.

Regards,
-lunchman

Beats the super packed and insanely high priced restaurants today.

Looks insanely good Dom!

Thanks, Sako. Yeah, I can't imagine what a Prime Rib dinner is going for these days, but even these steaks were $25/lb (new butcher shop that just opened so I had to give it a try). At a pound each... One does not want to screw up dinner. :mrgreen: However, we'll get another dinner out of the second steak.

Dom,

Steak and plate looks great. Glad it didn't get away from you. My experience with high sear temps is the outer surface is extremely hot and the middle of the meat is much lower. Based on the pictures of the reverse sear, I imagine your high temp reading may have been due to the flames. You didn't spend a lot of time in the meat for your thermometer to catch up to the lower reading in the middle of the meat. Or your thermo is malfunctioning.

But you can't argue with the degree of doneness. Looks like a perfect medium rare to me.

Thanks,

Robert

Back