THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smokey Bones

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I'm looking for suggestions for a good quality vacuum sealer for briskets, butts, and slabs of ribs. I've been asked to fill up my smoker when cookin' for some friends. Then prep if for saving and reheating on a following weekend.

What has work well for others. Both from simple refrigerating and saving. As well as maybe boil in bag for reheating that I've heard others are doing.

With the boil method what success have you had? Will the vacuum bags hold up for the boil? How long a boil to reheat to serving temperature? Or any other suggestion the brothers can offer would be appreciated.

I have a weston 2300. its perfect for big meats.
W_SSVacSealer_65_0201_W_ProductShot.jpg

+1 on the Weston 2300/3000

3000 has seal time control allowing for a better seal on a wide range of bags. Ive been buying 4mil lately from Cabelas and love them. The 2300 has no problem sealing them, but that's not to say I wouldn't mind the added control.

Not all bags are made for safe immersion in boiling water with food, check the food rating of the bag that you intend to use.

As far as the sealer, if you plan to seal whole briskets and whole butts, Weston is probably the better choice simply because the width of the sealer is over 15.5 inches. Common bags for large items are 15 X 18, and they even sell rolls 8', 11" and 15" wide material. If you are slicing/pulling the meat in advance then you can probably get away with 11" bags and get a cheaper unit.

I chose the Weston because it has dual piston pumps rather than a singe pump. Although a perfect vacuum is 0 psi, the food saver draw is -7 psi whereas the Weston is -14 psi. We all realize that neither will ever reach a vacuum state as water would boil. However the Weston unit does evacuate the air in the bag with more consistency over a shorter period of time with a stronger seal. It has both manual and automatic seal functions, so one can manually seal wet foods with "manual" operations or let it automatically seal with dry operations.

The Weston also has user serviceable parts readily available so you can repair the unit if need be, or you can send it back for repair. Some manufactures do not repair or sell parts, they consider them disposable and in the long run this generates future sales. I have had my Weston for 3 years now and only recently I replaced foam seals and heater bar for less than 30 dollars. It took less than 10 minutes with minimal effort. Although the unit was still working properly, I felt preventative maintenance is also part of caring for the unit.

While there are many makes models to choose from, I chose the Weston Pro-2300 model because it had a stainless steel shell, the 2100 is identical but has an enamel finish for about fifty dollars less. Weston now has the Pro-3000 model which is the Po-2300 with a visible vacuum gauge and an adjustable seal timer. Vac-Master also makes some lesser priced heavy duty vac-sealers like the 1100 series for a little over $200.00.

I have had the Weston for over 3 years now without incident, sealing 10 to 20 bags a week depending upon activities for that week. The downside of the Weston is that it has a very large footprint and weighs about 40 (or more) pounds so it does not store easily unless you have a second kitchen or private prep area where you can leave it out all the time.

The Weston unit seals appears to be twice as wide as FoodSaver, and it seals flawlessly with liquids or food residue present. I have never had a weak or faulty seal with the Weston Pro-2300. The Weston bags are rated food safe for use in boiling water and they are also dishwasher safe. I have never reused bags, but many others have said they have washed and reused bags.

Thanks for the feedback. The Weston unit looks to be a good one, and I'll check into it further.

Follow up question. If I put a cooked and uncut flat (say 6 cooked pounds) in boiling water straight from the fridge, how long to heat up to serving temp? For any bagged meat what is the method for knowing it's heated without poking the bag to temp and letting water in if it's not done?

Bags cost twice what the roll does to make your own. You can make it any size you need instead of having 2 lbs of stuff in 5 lb bag. I use a Foodsaver when it dies I'll replace it with a Weston.

Thanks for the feedback. The Weston unit looks to be a good one, and I'll check into it further.

Follow up question. If I put a cooked and uncut flat (say 6 cooked pounds) in boiling water straight from the fridge, how long to heat up to serving temp? For any bagged meat what is the method for knowing it's heated without poking the bag to temp and letting water in if it's not done?

Simply let thaw a day in the refrigerator, then bring a stock pot of water to a boil. After the water has come to a boil, turn off the burner, and drop the bag into the water and walk away for about 20 minutes. If the bag does not submerge well in the pot, just rotate every 5 minutes.

No, you don't probe the bag to check for temperature, simply retrieve the bag with a pair of tongs, let it sit on the counter for a minute and feel the bag with your hand. If it is not hat enough return to water for another 5 minutes. I find that in most cases 20 minutes is ample for a 5 pound bag of tightly packed pulled pork.

Bags cost twice what the roll does to make your own. You can make it any size you need instead of having 2 lbs of stuff in 5 lb bag. I use a Foodsaver when it dies I'll replace it with a Weston.

That would depend on your source of supply... and you have to consider the material thickness of the bag. Most foodsaver bags are 3 mil, but they do sell some premium 4 mil bags sold at a premium price.

the heavier duty 4ml thick bags Quart size is 20 cents a bag rounded up (where as the 3 mil bags ar 14 cents), 4 mil Gallon size is 39 cents a bag, and the 4 mil extra large 12 X 16 are about 42 cents a bag.

Darn, those are some expensive sealers, though I guess if you have the greater width it would help. I know on my foodsaver bags I cannot do a pork belly from Costco as i have to cut or trim. I also cannot do a brisket. If I can do both with the Weston then it could be worth it, especially as my food saver is now dying. it seems to take forever to reach vacuum now and seal.

BTW on Amazon the white enamel unit is $40 more than the stainless model at $380. ($420 vs $380)

Wil the 2300 do foodsaver bags or do you specifically need to use the Weston bags? I already have several rools of the foodsaver bags I purchased from Costco and would rather not need to give them to anyone.

you can use any vacuum bags. Does not need a proprietary bag.

Foodsaver doesn't either but they don't let you know that. Plus their sealing bar is pretty weak so thick bags may not work well on them

OK thanks. In reading the reviews on amazon, one of the ones on the first page said that the 2300 won't seal the foodsaver bags. i know the more expensive unit has the seal time feature so there wouldn't be an issue there, but i was looking at the 2300.

OK thanks. In reading the reviews on amazon, one of the ones on the first page said that the 2300 won't seal the foodsaver bags. i know the more expensive unit has the seal time feature so there wouldn't be an issue there, but i was looking at the 2300.

The 2300 WILL seal foodsaver bags. I buy them on clearance at Walmart for $1.00 a box when they have them on final reduction every now and then. That is the only time I buy foodsaver bags because they are so over-priced. Even with their "Buy one - Get One Free" sale, the foodsaver bags are far more expensive than the thicker heavy duty 4 mil bags that are readily available.

The 2300 even seals the 5 mil bags with no issues.

No proprietary bags, any micro-channel bag works fine, and food saver is a micro-channel bag. Some companies lead you to believe that you have to use their bags to assure themselves a recurring revenue source. I have used Weston, Foodsaver, Vac-Master, Rival, and other micro-channel bags for years, they all work fine. However you cannot use a vacuum chamber bag as the micro-channels are not there and the air will not be pulled out with the Weston or any other external clamp sealer.

Truth be known, none of the companies probably make their own bags, but more than likely outsource them for private packaging.

Bulk Bag Source....
https://www.sorbentsystems.com/channel_bags.html

Last edited:
Back