Using wood in a UDS?

kevine

Full Fledged Farker
I have some apple and peach wood chunks (about a 5 gallon bucket of each) that I've had for a couple years. It's still clean but wanted to use it up. Can I put a bunch of it on the bottom of my charcoal basket and cover with unlit for a minion method cook? Or will it flare up? Or can I use it on my OTG using indirect?

Also, I just picked a large barrel of almond (that's all they had). Never used it but I know some others have. Any tips or info on almond is appreciated. Thx

I mix a lot of wood chunks in with my Charcoal in my UDS- like 20-25 chunks in 10-12,lbs charcoal. It will run a little hotter with a lot of wood chunks

Ok, that's what I thought. I'm gonna be doing a brisket for Easter Sunday, so running a little hotter is ok

When filling up my charcoal basket for my UDS, I make layers. I pour some charcoal in the basket then throw in 3 or 4 chunks of wood, more charcoal, 3 or 4 pieces of wood, charcoal, wood, then top with lit charcoal to get the fire going.

Number of layers depends on how long I want/need to cook for.

When using large wood chunks in my uds, I find that the temps go up and down more. Sometimes swinging as much as 30 degrees. Not really a problem for longer hot and fast cooks. It will really flare up if and when you lift the lid however, so be prepared for this.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

Last edited:
I use almond a lot..really a mild wood but goes great with everything..mix half almond and half fruit wood..turns out great

Thanks for the tips and info. I think I'll just use it as I always have. A few good chunks per basket. The almond wood came in 18" logs so I'm gonna be giving my sawzall a work out

Back