Using the Vortex to cook Wings on a weber kettle

Tobes

Found some matches.
Just ordered a medium one of these and keen to try doing some buffalo wings for the first time on the kettle once it arrives.

I was just wondering of those that have got one, how you've found using it and any tips/tricks you might have with cooking wings? do you season them beforehand or afterwards? do you sauce them while they're cooking or toss them in some sauce once they're done?

I always apply rub ahead of time.

Sometimes I sauce afterwards when plating them.....many times I don't.....depends on the rub used.

As soon as I get a free weekend day, I plan on doing these --> https://www.oakridgebbq.com/oakridge-bbq-habanero-death-wings/. They looked too good not to try.

I tried their Habanero Death Dust on a wing cook a while back.

It was memorable. My son loved it....I'd rather have used the rub a bit more sparingly.... as a secondary rub lightly applied.

Oakridge's rubs are fine grained and shake out nice and easily. I went overboard with the HDD on that batch. Bigtime heat. :mad2:

The vortex on the weber kettle is perfect for wings. Put it in the middle on the charcoal grate, with the small end up. Fill the vortex about half way up with lit charcoal and let the kettle warm up some. Put on the cooking grate and arrange the wings around the vortex so they aren't directly over the heat. It directs the airflow up onto the lid and then down on the wings so you get high heat without working about them burning to a crisp. I usually put a chunk of oak, apple, cherry, or whatever is around on the cooking grate directly over the heat so it generates some smoke too.

The vortex on the weber kettle is perfect for wings. Put it in the middle on the charcoal grate, with the small end up. Fill the vortex about half way up with lit charcoal and let the kettle warm up some. Put on the cooking grate and arrange the wings around the vortex so they aren't directly over the heat. It directs the airflow up onto the lid and then down on the wings so you get high heat without working about them burning to a crisp. I usually put a chunk of oak, apple, cherry, or whatever is around on the cooking grate directly over the heat so it generates some smoke too.

Yup. Nothing to it. Straightforward cook.

Tobes, you are gonna love it.

Remember to rotate the lid every few minutes during the cook so you'll get the same draw time over each section.

I've always done my wings on the kamado with a 1/2 moon heat deflector on one side and direct on the other.

I'll let the wings cook over the heat deflector until 2/3 done and then roll 'em over the direct side.

I love them cooked this way and prefer it to fried wings. Always get a nice crisp skin and the rub flavors come through...

That being said, I bought the medium Vortex because I wanted to be able to get the same type of wing off my 22'' kettle.

That Weber can be tossed in the back of the truck with ease and taken along for tailgating and other fun stuff.

The Vortex sure makes for a really easy to run wing cooker. I have zero regrets in spending the $$$ on it.

Just for the heck of it, I tried the same medium Vortex in my 24" ceramic kamado.

It ran just fine, too.

Last edited:
The Vortex is a wing cooking machine.

I usually don't preseason my wings and just put them on naked. Once they are done I toss in a hot sauce and melted butter mix for hot wings and toss the other half in teriyaki sauce for Asian wings. They both turn out great and crispy.

I tried their Habanero Death Dust on a wing cook a while back.

It was memorable. My son loved it....I'd rather have used the rub a bit more sparingly.... as a secondary rub lightly applied.

Oakridge's rubs are fine grained and shake out nice and easily. I went overboard with the HDD on that batch. Bigtime heat. :mad2:

Went overboard? I'm gonna stay, oh, like two and a half miles away, from anything named Habanero Death Dust.

I would second that the vortex does well with other cuts of chicken. Thighs, breasts, etc. Just a small chunk of wood and all that heat does the job real well.

The vortex with wings is a perfect match. I love the wings that come off of it.

t29NNJsh.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks for the tips diggles! I have some apple wood in the garage so will give it a try.

Yup. Nothing to it. Straightforward cook.

Tobes, you are gonna love it.

Remember to rotate the lid every few minutes during the cook so you'll get the same draw time over each section.

I've always done my wings on the kamado with a 1/2 moon heat deflector on one side and direct on the other.

I'll let the wings cook over the heat deflector until 2/3 done and then roll 'em over the direct side.

I love them cooked this way and prefer it to fried wings. Always get a nice crisp skin and the rub flavors come through...

That being said, I bought the medium Vortex because I wanted to be able to get the same type of wing off my 22'' kettle.

That Weber can be tossed in the back of the truck with ease and taken along for tailgating and other fun stuff.

The Vortex sure makes for a really easy to run wing cooker. I have zero regrets in spending the $$$ on it.

Just for the heck of it, I tried the same medium Vortex in my 24" ceramic kamado.

It ran just fine, too.

DubfromGA, after reading and seeing these pics I can't wait now to try it out, they look good. That steak also looks really good too! now im feeling hungry :pop2:

The Vortex will up your chicken game. Just like described above. Vortex in middle, chicken on outer ring, wood over Vortex. Rub first, sauce or no sauce. I go 8-12 minutes depending on chicken part and flip for another 8-12. Never fails.
View attachment 149858
View attachment 149859

angryelfFan that chicken looks amazing!

Will have to see if i can find that plowboys yardbird rub around here and try it out.

Back