using some new toys in the kitchen

TailGateJoecom

is one Smokin' Farker
Broke out some new toys for New Years Day dinner.......

I bought myself an immersion circulator. Yeah, when you are so self absorbed and desperately trying to be one of the lost boys in never never land you are kinda forced to buy your own gifts come the holidays, lol. Anywho, an immersion circulator is a device that will create a water bath of a precise temperature for as long as needed. You vacuum wrap whatever you are cooking, and drop it into the tank or pot and let it cook for a set amount of time. There are a few benefits to this. For vegetables like carrots, pectin breaks down at exactly 183 degrees. So cooking carrots under vacuum at that exact temp for an hour will lead to an incredibly concentrated flavor that is more carrot than the carrot is otherwise. For meat, you can cook a steak to an exact medium rare from edge to edge precisely with not overdone meat or grey meat gradiant as the cirulator gradually bring the whole piece of meat to the perfect temp throughout. For the holiday meal I was responsible for a whole filet tenderloin and glazed baby carrots.

Here is the whole beef tenderloin (filet mignon) completely untrimmed.

newyearsday2015steak014.jpg

And after fully trimming it.

newyearsday2015steak015.jpg

I then sealed the roast into a vac bag along with some koshar salt, olive oil, and thyme sprigs.

newyearsday2015steak017.jpg

That went into the fridge to rest a few hours. Then some carrots, butter, sugar, and salt were bagged and into the circulator at 183 degrees for 1:30 hours.

newyearsday2015steak016.jpg

Once they were done, they went into the fridge and the water bath was brought down to 131 degrees and the roast went in to 2 hours.

newyearsday2015steak018.jpg

Near the end of the 2 hours, I poured the carrots out of the bag and into a pan to set the glaze.

newyearsday2015steak019.jpg

The whole beef tenderloin came out and while perfectly cooked, had no nice sear on the exterior.

newyearsday2015steak020.jpg

This was easily remedied with another new toy of mine, the searzall. This gadget is the first commercialy vaible product from Chef David Chang and his partner from a test kitchen they have set up to come up with new culinary products and techniques. It is an attatchment for a standard plumbers torch to turn it into a handheld broiler/salamander.

newyearsday2015steak021.jpg

And the final money shot.

newyearsday2015steak022.jpg

And a short little clip of the searzall in action.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50h7FubHy3Q"]Searzall Beef Tenderloin - YouTube[/ame]

Jealous of your new toys... I've been eyeing those circulators for a while, but can't convince myself to drop the coin. Never saw a searzall before but it looks pretty cool.

Sous vide pork chops = heaven

Jealous of your new toys... I've been eyeing those circulators for a while, but can't convince myself to drop the coin. Never saw a searzall before but it looks pretty cool.

Sous vide pork chops = heaven

It is crazy how prices have been dropping, I bought one for $200. I bought the anova, not the newest one with bluetooth iphone integration, but the slightly older one as it is a little more powerful.

The searzall is the perfect complement to sous vide, it will sear the exterior without the heat really penetrating into the meat. Also, it has great control of where exactly the heat goes.

Do ya think it will replace an old school offset smoker? Not knocking it, as I think it is a great step of thinking outside the box. However, it will cause the old die-hard gang to fight with tooth and nail before accepting it. Kind of like the film guys did about the new digital cameras. ("It will never replace film") Such is progress, good or bad. Thanks for the pictures as I never knew anything like that existed, nor the circulator. I live such a sheltered life!! :doh:

Blessings,

Omar

Do ya think it will replace an old school offset smoker? Not knocking it, as I think it is a great step of thinking outside the box. However, it will cause the old die-hard gang to fight with tooth and nail before accepting it. Kind of like the film guys did about the new digital cameras. ("It will never replace film") Such is progress, good or bad. Thanks for the pictures as I never knew anything like that existed, nor the circulator. I live such a sheltered life!! :doh:

Blessings,

Omar
I don't think either of the tools I used will replace a smoker, be it old school offset or newer pellet smoker any more than a microwave replaced a smoker. They are just tools that do certain tasks very well.

Having said that, I did read an article talking about the bbq stall, and that using sous vide in combination with smoking could create some interesting results, but it seems to me to be too overly complicated. But I will probably give it a go at some point just to try it out, lol.
http://modernistcuisine.com/2012/08/barbecue-stall/

I think the greatest part of using a circulator and cooking sous vide is it basically throws out the draconian safe cooking temps that were set up to dumb down cooking so that the most basic applebees microwave jockey could produce safe food for the public. As an example, we all know to take chicken to 165 internal. At 165, any bacteria is instantly killed. By taking it to a temp where bacteria is instantly eradicated, there is really no room for error. But, as we all know, at 165 the chicken expels most of its moisture and dries out. Now, at a lower temp of 140 internal, you can still kill the bacteria, but you need to hold it at that temp for a minimum of 35 minutes. So you drop the chicken breast in a vac sealed bag into a water bath that is at 140 degrees, and let it sit there for for a little over an hour and a half and the chicken comes out fully cooked and white all the way through, but full of flavor and juiciness you can never achieve at regular cooking temps and methods. From there you can quickly pan sear it and you are good to go.

What Anova unit do you use and why. I have been thinking about getting one but would love some feedback before ordering. It looks like the new unit is WIFI compatible and can be operated from the phone which I guess is nice but probably unnecessary.

I have a family of 7 so I want to make sure that I get the correct unit.

Any feed back is appreciated.

What Anova unit do you use and why. I have been thinking about getting one but would love some feedback before ordering. It looks like the new unit is WIFI compatible and can be operated from the phone which I guess is nice but probably unnecessary.

I have a family of 7 so I want to make sure that I get the correct unit.

Any feed back is appreciated.

I bought the Anova One, not their brand new Anova Precision Cooker. Reason being the One has a slightly higher wattage and water volume number and I want the ability to do some large cooks for events. Had I only bought it for home use, I would have gone for the newer and cheaper version. Kenji over at seriouseats, whose word I always take as gospel, did a writeup a year ago on the 3 big circulators for the home market, and picked the Anova One(http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/sous-vide-circulator-review-sansaire-nomiku-anova.html). He then recently did an update writeup on the new Anova saying it was an improvement on an already great machine, (http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/...apest-sous-vide-circulator-on-the-market.html). I would suggest the newer, and cheaper, model to most home cooks.

Also, definitely look into the searzall, I think it is a perfect complement to a sous vide circulator.

Here are amazon links to both, and the direct link for the newer model which is currently backordered a few weeks. If you use an amazon link to buy, I get a buck or two.
Searzall
http://amzn.to/1Bvhkxz

Anova One
http://amzn.to/1xrOKOF

Anova Precision
http://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker

Carol Tucker-Foreman, director of the Consumer Federation of America’s Food Policy Institute and coiner of the phrase, “Irradiated poop won’t make you sick, but it’s still poop.”

:roll:

I'm really a fan of Sous Vide cooking. My son is sous chef at a very busy high end restaurant and they have been using these immersion cookers for years now. They can not only cook, but hold food to perfect temps indefinitely.

Reverse sear is king for larger cuts like this!

I think the greatest part of using a circulator and cooking sous vide is it basically throws out the draconian safe cooking temps that were set up to dumb down cooking so that the most basic applebees microwave jockey could produce safe food for the public. As an example, we all know to take chicken to 165 internal. At 165, any bacteria is instantly killed. By taking it to a temp where bacteria is instantly eradicated, there is really no room for error. But, as we all know, at 165 the chicken expels most of its moisture and dries out. Now, at a lower temp of 140 internal, you can still kill the bacteria, but you need to hold it at that temp for a minimum of 35 minutes. So you drop the chicken breast in a vac sealed bag into a water bath that is at 140 degrees, and let it sit there for for a little over an hour and a half and the chicken comes out fully cooked and white all the way through, but full of flavor and juiciness you can never achieve at regular cooking temps and methods. From there you can quickly pan sear it and you are good to go.

Nice point about food temps but i personally dont like the texture of chicken much below 160, i like dark meat higher. Also sous vide opens up a whole new set of food poisoning issues, botulism and what not.

Back