Urgent Brisket Tips?

Gotta disagree with the BBQ folklore, as I don't know what chemistry you're talking about. Sure the fat will melt, but it is not going to get into the meat. It's a nice idea, that "bathing the meat in fat will impart flavor". Unfortunately, it's science fiction. Sure, if you leave the fat, most people go fat cap up. Probably best to trim it to 1/8th inch thick at most. You are right about the time though... you need to get the temp up to where the collagen (main part of the connective tissue in the meat) breaks down. That's what makes this cut tender.

Um, I would think dill would be bad on brisket. Just go with the first three and avoid the dill. You really only need salt and pepper. I would trim some of the fat, at least to 1/8" at most, it gets real greasy with a lot of fat left on. 1/8" of fat is good.

I got a recipe for passover grape jelly brisket somewhere too, it was surprisingly good.
I'll try it out, if your willing to pm me the recipe?

By the way I really have to stay away from Salt that's why I've asked about other alternatives.

I'm sure this is open for debate however, I'm of the strong belief that the proper position of the brisket is fat cap up. It is a simple matter of chemistry. The fat slowly melts down into the meat, which is slowly going through a chemical breakdown. Remember that Brisket is one of (if not) the toughest cut of meet and requires long cooking times because the fibrous tissue must go through a chemical break down.

Anyway, put the fat on bottom and it will melt away into your drip pan...it will not hold in moisture.
Thank you Thomas, I was going to put the fat side down and your right, Alton Brown did a good eats eps with brisket once and I can't find it on youtube, but he said its good for the fiberuis tissue to break down.

Gotta disagree with the BBQ folklore, as I don't know what chemistry you're talking about. Sure the fat will melt, but it is not going to get into the meat. It's a nice idea, that "bathing the meat in fat will impart flavor". Unfortunately, it's science fiction. Sure, if you leave the fat, most people go fat cap up. Probably best to trim it to 1/8th inch thick at most. You are right about the time though... you need to get the temp up to where the collagen (main part of the connective tissue in the meat) breaks down. That's what makes this cut tender.
Thanks again for the tips guys and Sdb...

I think that may be the first time anyone has actually argued that fat will not impart flavor....somebody had better let McDonald's know that their fries are bathed in "science fiction." :lol:

might as well discuss the hanger method while we are at it :biggrin:

I was just going to say something like this to be a smart arse.

I can see that we have done what we always do. We have over contributed. There are so many things and ideas. We have gone from fat up to smoking rubs to talk of dill.

Your first brisket (a flat) should be as simple as possible. Thats why the dark closet night train style was created, to disconnect the NOVICE from the various pitfalls of rubs, slathers, techniques, temps, mops, wood choice, positions of BBQ styles.

You said you wanted to place this in the oven... its your first, might as well be simple.

To be sure I do wish to say one thing... you have in fact entered into a forum of 100% the BEST and most knowledgeable men and women who ever cooked a brisket. However, they are experts.

Thanks vinny for shedding some humoristic light on this most silly attempt at advising a novice on baking a brisket. We are in fact overwhelming him.

Hang in there brother. (orginal poster)

Derek,
If I had it ready, and knew where it was, I would send it to you. Basically, it was about rubbing the brisket with grape jelly and then salt and pepper. It did require foiling. Up until recently, I was a strong believer that you had to have salt to have good BBQ flavor. I have changed that opinion, but, the person that cooks with salt free rubs that changed my mind has not shared it with me. I know there were lots of herbs, rosemary, thyme and possibly parsley, but, I have no idea about the rest.

I think that may be the first time anyone has actually argued that fat will not impart flavor....somebody had better let McDonald's know that their fries are bathed in "science fiction." :lol:

This is now my new signature line. Singlehanded proof why we are better off with new members flooding in. Brilliantly said. LOL

Oh, didn't realize you were planning on deep frying your brisket.

Deep frying with impart flavor to objects that are able to absorb some of the fat (fries, batter coated stuff, etc.). Meat, however, doesn't absorb fat. It will absorb water, and some things that are dissolved in the water (why brine works), but it wont absorb fat.

So, fries are pure fatty goodness. And your thoughts on dissolving the fat cap into your brisket, pure fairytales.

I'm sure this is open for debate however, I'm of the strong belief that the proper position of the brisket is fat cap up. It is a simple matter of chemistry. The fat slowly melts down into the meat, which is slowly going through a chemical breakdown. Remember that Brisket is one of (if not) the toughest cut of meet and requires long cooking times because the fibrous tissue must go through a chemical break down.

Anyway, put the fat on bottom and it will melt away into your drip pan...it will not hold in moisture.

Looks like your close enough for me to show you that fat caps actually hold IN moisture like a BOWL. We pretty much have a consensus that what has thrown Qers off on this subject over the years has been the nature of the equipment. Some reputable people insist on fat caps toward the heat source.. or rather theb hottest part of the smoker your brisket will be subjected to. In some smokers like the old Banderas, that could be up top. In my offset reverse Brazos or any pit with a diverter plate it can be down. In addition, whther you wrap or not can be a factor. I, for instance either use a banking technique (where I cook say 50 briskets to the stall then pile them and put on another set.) Sometimes I pan too.

Like even the use of Green Wood, it can depend on the Genius of the one doing the cooking; or in my case, will.. the sheer will that my cuts of meat will ever not do what I say.

Oh, didn't realize you were planning on deep frying your brisket.

Deep frying with impart flavor to objects that are able to absorb some of the fat (fries, batter coated stuff, etc.). Meat, however, doesn't absorb fat. It will absorb water, and some things that are dissolved in the water (why brine works), but it wont absorb fat.

So, fries are pure fatty goodness. And your thoughts on dissolving the fat cap into your brisket, pure fairytales.

full fledge farker status in 3 months. whoa

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like your close enough for me to show you that fat caps actually hold IN moisture like a BOWL. We pretty much have a consensus that what has thrown Qers off on this subject over the years has been the nature of the equipment. Some reputable people insist on fat caps toward the heat source.. or rather theb hottest part of the smoker your brisket will be subjected to. In some smokers like the old Banderas, that could be up top. In my offset reverse Brazos or any pit with a diverter plate it can be down. In addition, whther you wrap or not can be a factor. I, for instance either use a banking technique (where I cook say 50 briskets to the stall then pile them and put on another set.) Sometimes I pan too.

Like even the use of Green Wood, it can depend on the Genius of the one doing the cooking; or in my case, will.. the sheer will that my cuts of meat will ever not do what I say.

I agree with this. I will admit I was making some assumptions. :oops:

Somewhat off topic, but, if you take some burnt ends and dredge them lightly in a corn starch/flour mixture and drop em in the deep fryer till they are crisp, you are in for some good tasty eating.

NO, it is not healthy, DUH!

So poaching protein in duck fat or olive oil is a waste?

Somewhat off topic, but, if you take some burnt ends and dredge them lightly in a corn starch/flour mixture and drop em in the deep fryer till they are crisp, you are in for some good tasty eating.

NO, it is not healthy, DUH!
yeah, somewhat off topic. I think that is called hijacking. Not being mean just having fun.

To OP: Best O' luck on your brisket. To me it is one of the toughest meats to get right.

I am from a Pork state (as opposed to a Beef state-IE Texas), and while I have been smoking pork for many years, I am still learning the fine art of brisket. The funkmeister being from the great republic of Texas would be my first choice if I was looking for guidance on brisket (and God knows I could use it!)

There is a lot of advice in this thread; some good, some great, and some just plain wrong. Don't let it throw you. Common sense and simplicity will go a long ways. Beef is fantastic with a good technique and salt and pepper, nothing else.

Back