Upcoming first competition and they moved me into the Pro Division

Fnbish,

The Meat Mart in Conyers can get you prime briskets, I plan on getting a couple soon (I do not know the price).

BV

Thanks. Conyers is too far unfortunately. I've been happy with the CAB I've been getting from my butcher. One day I'll find a prime that isn't online :grin:.

We just did our first comp this past weekend. There was no backyard category. We finished 20 out of 25. We had a great time and learned a lot. Just don't sweat it and have fun and do what you do best.
The only advise is don't get in a hurry and put your meats on to early. That's what we did and it hurt us. Every thing had to sit and my brisket dried out. We still got 15 for that.
So good luck and have fun.

Waygu definitely, but if you know of a place in Atlanta that has Prime for a decent price please let me know :becky:. I've been to a lot of butcher shops and they say they can't order it even though they carry other prime beef. I'm happy with the CAB i've been using though, but always wanted to try prime.

Jason - not sure what you would consider a "decent price" but have you tried Wilkes Meat Market in Suwanee on Peachtree Industrial? Since we don't have to cook brisket often, I haven't looked at their selection recently, but they have always had prime when we've been in there.

Jason - not sure what you would consider a "decent price" but have you tried Wilkes Meat Market in Suwanee on Peachtree Industrial? Since we don't have to cook brisket often, I haven't looked at their selection recently, but they have always had prime when we've been in there.

I think I read somewhere that Wilkes will wet age them for you also. It was some place in Gwinnett County.

BV

Patton's Meat Market http://pattonsmeatmarket.com/ in Norcross is where I get my briskets. They always have CAB and Waygu, and can if they are out of stock they can get them in less than 24 hours. I believe he can get Prime as well.

PekingPorker,

How are the prices on the Waygu there? I cannot find anything on the west side, looks like road trips are in my future.

BV

Patton's Meat Market http://pattonsmeatmarket.com/ in Norcross is where I get my briskets. They always have CAB and Waygu, and can if they are out of stock they can get them in less than 24 hours. I believe he can get Prime as well.

That's where I have been getting my brisket for a while now. I've asked Parker about Prime, but the price isn't much cheaper than wagyu. Those guys are great though and I'm pretty happy with the CAB.

PekingPorker,

How are the prices on the Waygu there? I cannot find anything on the west side, looks like road trips are in my future.

BV

Waygu runs $9.99/lb. They have a cooler on the left side of the store when you walk in where they keep all the briskets. It's nice since you can personally feel all of them and choose which one you want. Since you're making the drive from the west side, I would call first just to make sure they are not sold out.

...did the contest in Lincolnton that required a brisket.

Lincolnton NC Hog Happening? if so, what a mess. basically a bike rally with some bbq on the side. if I were a backyard cooker and wanted to jump up, that's a good contest. not too many big names, actually not too many small teams either. we were walking around and thought it seemed scarce for a comp.

Back