Unmarked mystery ribs from Sam's Club

Question: so people select and purchase meat. They drive home look it over May or may not be treated right cared for etc. When you take it back is it returned to the for sale bin?

Same here. Costco is 8 miles down the road with a better product all around. Don't think I'll be renewing my Sam's membership.

the only thing I liked better about Sam's last time I was there was the lack of a crowd.......they were all at Costco

Question: so people select and purchase meat. They drive home look it over May or may not be treated right cared for etc. When you take it back is it returned to the for sale bin?

Can't speak for other stores, but only what I've seen at Sams and Costco - absolutely not. They don't know how they have been handled, etc. The risk and liability would be enormous.

When I returned the unmarked ribs to Sams, I said to the service counter person "those have always been refrigerated and are fine, I hope an employee will take them home." Nope, she says they must be disposed of, and she tossed them into the trash. I kinda assume that practice also applies to non-perishable food, and maybe to a lot of non-food items. Once it leaves the store you just can't be certain what is coming back.

For that reason I really try hard to be certain about my food purchases and not return. For those un-branded ribs I really hesitated. Should have followed my gut at the store but at that moment really didn't want to return to costco for a second time in one day.

I used to have both Sam's and Costco memberships.

The employees at Sams acted like they could care less if you shopped there, Costco was the exact opposite. The Sams in Des Moines has a great meat counter but seems like they could man more than 3 checkout lanes.

They closed the one in Madison, Costco outdid them in almost every way.

Back