THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokeInDaEye said:
OK, so last night I was walking to Penn Station and discovered a new barbecue place has popped up across from the post office on 8th Avenue.

I think it's called Shady Jake's.....

"New York City's Hottest New BBQ Joint!

An authentic taste of Southern cuisine just landed on the West Side. Home-cooked specialties include Smoked Brisket of Beef, Carolina Pulled Pork and New Orlean's Po' Boys. Entrees wouldn't be complete without the sides of course. Choose from Mac n' Cheese, Collard Greens, Mashed Potatoes and much, much more.

416 8th Avenue at 31st St.
Across from Madison Square Garden
New York, NY
Phone: 917-351-0607 "

Attachments

• logo_shady.gif
    logo_shady.gif
    14.3 KB · Views: 47
forward all resumes to

Willie B's BBQ
222 5th ave
bayshore, NY 11706
EOE

"must have advanced knowledge BBQ and BEER"

I get up to NYC every so often, and have eaten at the restaurants on your list at least twice if not more, and my vote for best-of-the-best after multiple visits would have to be RUB. Their food most resembles what I would consider to be authentic Q, that's found in some of the best BBQ joints around the country. As with all of the restaurants that I have eaten in, they do have day-to-day constancy issues, but RUB of the NYC places seems to be the most consistent. USA Today put them in a list of 10 restaurants that reads like a who's-who of BBQ: http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/life/20060505/dd_great05.art.htm Which should say something for their food. People may not agree with the list, but no other BBQ restaurant outside the south or KC made it.

Though not in Gotham, upcountry a bit in Westchester county there is a relatively new place, simply called Q in Port Chester.
Tried it with a fellow transplant I have known since college days with our current spouses and another couple and it was pretty darn good IMHO.
Q Authentic Barbeque Restaurant & Bar
112 N. Main St. (Westchester Ave.)
Port Chester, NY 10573
914-933-7427

Q's concept embraces a casual atmosphere with authentic barbecue flavors, and it delivers, literally. Order your meal at the counter, take a ticket and find a seat. When the food arrives, it comes in droves, like the Q sampler: brisket, chicken, ribs and pulled pork. It is easy to understand Q's popularity after sinking your teeth into the barbecued meat. If the kitchen missteps at all it is in the slight overdosing on barbecue sauce, but the smoky yet sweet flavor is heaven for 'cue lovers. The ribs are the standout, hunks of meat attached tenderly to the bones. A complimentary side of corn bread is not worth the calories, and the house-cut fries, billed as amazing, taste like most other french fries. The delicious barbecue is what will bring you back.

I have been to Q and would consider their ribs the the worst of the bunch.

They have articles posted touting how they are CIA grads and took three months to travel and sample Q. How do they use that knowledge? They sauce the ribs and throw them on the grill, then serve them burnt. I ordered a full rack and got through three or four, when finally my sister-in-law got tired of my complaining and sent them back. They replaced my partially-consumed burnt full rack with a slightly less burnt half rack. The chef personally inspected (open kitchen) the ribs and sent out the replacement. Needless to say I have never returned.

I know Dinosaur heats on a grill then sauces lightly, which is acceptable. Especially when RUB serves cold meat frequently, I understand the philosophy of holding the meat in the warmer and serving from there directly, but they open the door every minute so the meat winds up room temp.

Sorry Wes, but I have to agree. Although it has been a year since my one and only trip to "q", I didn't find anything in the 3-4 dishes we ordered to be worth going back for.

Granted, I picked it up "to go" and it was probably cold by the time I ate it, but I've done the same at different places in memphis, texas, n. carolina, (even) california, etc. and the food was still amazing.

Maybe once the competition season dies down we should really consider a NYC brethren "bbq crawl"?

- C (and I think this post means I now "got wood" which should make the wife quite proud!)

Here's a review of the Cookhouse from the NY Times. This review is for their new location in Branford, but it's pretty much the same as the other two places. The author clearly doesn't have a clue about real Q....

http://events.nytimes.com/2006/08/06/travel/06ctdine.html

I ate at the Branford one a few weeks ago. The couple we went with, one had a burger and the other a salad, I wanted to smack them!

When you order ribs, you get a choice; either falling off the bone, or competition style. I thought that was a nice touch.

tedlor70 said:
Here's a review of the Cookhouse from the NY Times. This review is for their new location in Branford, but it's pretty much the same as the other two places. The author clearly doesn't have a clue about real Q....

http://events.nytimes.com/2006/08/06/travel/06ctdine.html

I ate at the Branford one a few weeks ago. The couple we went with, one had a burger and the other a salad, I wanted to smack them!

When you order ribs, you get a choice; either falling off the bone, or competition style. I thought that was a nice touch.

As usual the food critic at the NY Times is an idiot. She complains of the smoke flavor in everything. While I don't think any BBQ restaurant will be 100% all the time, The Cookhouse is an enjoyable place to go. The atmosphere is nice and the portions are nice for the price. The employees are very friendly.

that is pretty funny since they use southern prides and not much wood. If anyone wants to train it out here, we can pick ya up/drop ya off...let me know a date. Beginnning of September is pretty scary still
nancee

Smoker said:
As usual the food critic at the NY Times is an idiot. She complains of the smoke flavor in everything. While I don't think any BBQ restaurant will be 100% all the time, The Cookhouse is an enjoyable place to go. The atmosphere is nice and the portions are nice for the price. The employees are very friendly.

they own a bakery across the road. very good btw. their background was they read Q was big and figured they could cash in on the trend
nancee

Westexbbq said:
Re Q in Port Chester;
Hey, no problem here, to each his own. Maybe we caught 'em on a good night; true, I have had better ribs but overall, not bad; maybe I was a bit biased 'cause they had Lone Star Long Necks!

Back