uh oh uds never got hot enough

yeah, it kinda went on a crazy direction. All I really want to know is can I eat the damn meat. lmfao

oh well, I tried.

That is a tough call. But seriously man I think you should post some pics of your rig. If not only just because it's fun to look at pics of peoples UDS'.

yeah, it kinda went on a crazy direction. All I really want to know is can I eat the damn meat. lmfao

oh well, I tried.

Luvin it! - See bolded.

Ok so I dont' see where he was being a jackass or condescending at all. It seemed to me that he was wrong but was trying to help.

Also from my calculations your figures are off as well.

now I could be wrong but I see 8 - 1" holes coming in at 6.28318" And 1- 8" hole coming in at: 50.26544".

Also in my UDS I have one 2" hole with an area of just over 3 inches. That's quite a bit different than his area of opening at 6"....

Bottom line in my opinion is that he has way too much exhaust.

however I could be totally wrong... but I won't call anyone a jackass or anything like that....

PS if I had that much intake open on my UDS I would shoot way over 300*. This is why I don't think it was an intake opening issue.

Well, look..the poster being villified calculated circumference, not area..nothing was squared..how do you get sq. inches?

The villifier never realized that radiaus and diameter were different, never
squared radius, and ended up with a absurd number.

Bandera and BSKD , if you sleeve the exhaust, has a diameter of
approx. 3" (slightly larger if you don't sleeve), meaning the OP has lost about 1/6 of the draft...not large, but certainly significant...
and it's not mentioned if there is a stack on each hole.

Draft is just that, air passes over the surface area of the hole, and draws
exhaust out..the smaller the hole, then the less can be drawn, often
times not much more (but some) than several holes of that smaller diameter.. it's called 'Venturi restriction', the principle of which air is drawn into a carburator, and exhausted into the combustion chamber by the vacuum of the pistons and cylinders themselves...add a longer rise between the carb and the cylinder (without increasing the cylinder/exhaust equation)..the engine chokes.

For this reason, fireplace, and stove manufacturers don't try to add
multiple flues to a single chimney to equal a single flue...it's not only cost,
they simply don't work as well. Add additional length to multiple too small flues= more resistance.=less draw.

That said, seeing that there is not an issue of spark, that allows for only air, fuel, and exhaust...is the fuel good..sounds like it...is the intake
sufficient..don't know, but if it burns at all, must be at
least partly o.k.,...and exhaust...on a big drum, likely not enough,
could be a combination, though.

Any chance the temperature probe was too close to the meat? I've had that happen to me. The probe near the meat stays way below the target temp, but rises to expected temp as meat cooks. If that happens to me now, I get a second thermometer out and take a second measurement at a different place.

Any chance the temperature probe was too close to the meat? I've had that happen to me. The probe near the meat stays way below the target temp, but rises to expected temp as meat cooks. If that happens to me now, I get a second thermometer out and take a second measurement at a different place.

The temp probe was about an inch or so under the meat. Between it and the fire.

Still his exhaust is quite a bit more than mine. It's double mine. I remember someone else on here a while back that had two 2" exhausts on his and he had to plug one of them because he was having temp problems.

He has eight 1 inch holes meaning he has just over 6 1/4 square inches of exhaust. My drum and I think most people have one 2" hole equating to measuring just over 3.1 square inches.

I think that most people that have done the eight hole pattern for exhaust have used half inch holes in that configuration. But that only equals just over 1.5 square inches of exhaust. However I think that is a known workign configuration.

But it was probably damp charcoal or a firebasket clearance issue.

Well, look..the poster being villified calculated circumference, not area..nothing was squared..how do you get sq. inches?

The villifier never realized that radiaus and diameter were different, never
squared radius, and ended up with a absurd number.

Bandera and BSKD , if you sleeve the exhaust, has a diameter of
approx. 3" (slightly larger if you don't sleeve), meaning the OP has lost about 1/6 of the draft...not large, but certainly significant...
and it's not mentioned if there is a stack on each hole.

Draft is just that, air passes over the surface area of the hole, and draws
exhaust out..the smaller the hole, then the less can be drawn, often
times not much more (but some) than several holes of that smaller diameter.. it's called 'Venturi restriction', the principle of which air is drawn into a carburator, and exhausted into the combustion chamber by the vacuum of the pistons and cylinders themselves...add a longer rise between the carb and the cylinder (without increasing the cylinder/exhaust equation)..the engine chokes.

For this reason, fireplace, and stove manufacturers don't try to add
multiple flues to a single chimney to equal a single flue...it's not only cost,
they simply don't work as well. Add additional length to multiple too small flues= more resistance.=less draw.

That said, seeing that there is not an issue of spark, that allows for only air, fuel, and exhaust...is the fuel good..sounds like it...is the intake
sufficient..don't know, but if it burns at all, must be at
least partly o.k.,...and exhaust...on a big drum, likely not enough,
could be a combination, though.

If the fire dies the most likely cause is not enough air coming IN.

Heat, air expands rises, goes out the exhaust, this leaves an area of low pressure inside the drum and air rushes in through the air intake to fill the vacuum and create balance. Restrict the intake and not enough air can get in the fuel starves for air and slows the burning keeps the balance though at a lower temperature.

My drum will actually make a hum if I open every intake hole in the bottom, light all the fuel and dump it in plus the temp pops over the thermo.

1/3 open on the valve and it cruises at 225F. It is sensitive to fuel load, put in too much lit and it can be tricky.

Your ignorant... And what's worse, your condescending. Or a smartass might be the word for it.
Your formula is flawed.
8-1 inch holes is 25.12 square inches
1-8 inch hole is 200.96 square inches
eight times more.
So if your going to take the time to post and make someone look stupid, use Google or a 5th grade kid so you don't make yourself look stupid and a jackass.
:laugh: Not!!!!!!!

Back