Took a month but just got the drum in. I also got shipping notification of the vortex basket for tomorrow. It’s going down!

7b4e2e33478730aa863921ae89076a74.jpg

ooohh yeah!!!

Finally got the Vortex basket. Here’s what Mark posted on the FB fan page 3 weeks ago:

b12a8baf2df534c02a2a507b1d12b5f0.jpg

Here’s it is unboxed inside the 28” heat shield. 30 oz Yeti cup for comparison.

1d8036ad17e7cc9d09649dc83e68a190.jpg

Basket dimension itself is 18” diameter and 11.75” height. Close to what I asked for (20” and 12”).

Impressive is the word. That ought to do the trick, for sure!

I'd love to have a vortex for my "little" 55 gallon UDS - but it seems pretty spendy (at least for me).

Can't wait to see you get it all put together.

What is the purpose of the vortex basket?

The basket holds the charcoal while the deflector plate still gives you that fat dripping on coals taste without it affecting the fire or causing grease fires. It also cause a convection like draft with the draw. I have it on my WSM and it’s pretty awesome.

Anybody try a wok lid in place of a Weber kettle lid?

http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/flatlid.html
If you look at the actual sizes. A 24" is actually a 22"
26" is actually 24"
Not the right measurements to fit most drums.
You can get a knock off kettle for around $40 new. Cheaper when on sale. And you get a cooking grate and coal grate. And the bottom of the kettle can be modified to use as a lid. If a used one can not be found cheap.

26" is actually 24"

You can get a knock off kettle for around $40 new. Cheaper when on sale. And you get a cooking grate and coal grate. And the bottom of the kettle can be modified to use as a lid. If a used one can not be found cheap.

I’m building a 30” UDS so I don’t have the luxury of using kettle lids.

Czar
If money is no object, I'm sure someone could fab a big dome for your Mega UDS. If your drum has a removable flat lid already, I'd stick with that. Your grate will be very large (26.5"?)- are you wanting a dome lid so you can add a 2nd grate level? If so- that will add a lot of cooking area to your cooker for sure. I'm not talking you out of that- but I don't run 2 grates on my 55 gallon UDS because handling hot, full grates of meat sucks - a royal PITA. Now make the grates 40% (?) bigger and do the swapping... I'd just a soon not.

Can't wait to see how your project turns out.

Grates will actually be 29” and fabbed by one of the Shirley boys :becky:

And yeah, sticking with the flat lid for now. Top rack will just be the rib rack and sit 3” below the lid.

26" is actually 24"
There is a lip around the outside.
flat-lid-54.jpg

I wonder if the "26 inch", actually 24 would work because of the lip? Or a strip of metal around the outside?

"Grates will actually be 29”" plus "fabbed by one of the Shirley boys" = Those gonna be pretty heavy. If you are going with the top being solely for ribs, you won't have to do much juggling/rotating racks- that's a good thing.

Back