I think you may be confusing smoke with smoke flavor. Normally you will barely see any smoke but you will still get good smoke flavor. Most of the time I'm getting what looks like hot air coming out the exhaust and that's the way I want it, I still get plenty of smoke flavor.

I think you may be confusing smoke with smoke flavor. Normally you will barely see any smoke but you will still get good smoke flavor. Most of the time I'm getting what looks like hot air coming out the exhaust and that's the way I want it, I still get plenty of smoke flavor.

Best advice/comment there.

Agreed. I like it TBS to heat vapors only. Nice clean fire with plenty O' smoke flavor. :thumb:

What kind of raw wood (type & size) and what kind of fuel are you using? I liberally mix in raw chunks in the fire basket with lump and it keeps light smoke going throughout the cook. Sometimes it will flare up with white smoke, but not for long.

Perfect

Does anyone use the meat hanging rods in their uds like the pit barrel cooker does?

I'm planning to put some in mine but trying to figure out if i should make hangers for the ends of the rod to sit in or drill the holes in the sides of the barrel like the pit barrel cooker and the hooks n cooks barrel.

Here also something I was wondering about while building my uds. Most all smokers have the outlet vent in the top of the smoker. The pit barrel cooker does not, it only has the holes in the side that the rods sit in. I was wondering if not having the vent in the top but having it in the sides would create convention type cooking and maybe that is why the pit barrel cooker is reported to cook faster.

I was wondering if not having the vent in the top but having it in the sides would create convention type cooking and maybe that is why the pit barrel cooker is reported to cook faster.

I can't see it changing the air flow pattern so drastically as to affect the cooking time. My bet is they cook faster because the radiant heat is closer.

I had been struggling with controlling my smoker after lighting the fire, sometimes would take 30 minutes to have a BBQ ready fire and sometimes an hour. I was lighting off half a chimney of lump and dumping it in the middle of my basket (hollowed out a spot.

Today, lit a small amount of coals in the basket with a weber cube, contained by a small coffee can in the corner of the basket. I was able to bring it up to temp slowly and had a fire BBQ fire ready with out much effort.

image.jpg

Well its been awhile since i have sifted through a lot of these pages. I finally have a UDS and it has been left unattended. What would be the best way to get rid of the rust on the inside without really getting at it with a sander? Will a good solid burn help? Or do I just need to suck it up and pull the sander out?

I had been struggling with controlling my smoker after lighting the fire, sometimes would take 30 minutes to have a BBQ ready fire and sometimes an hour. I was lighting off half a chimney of lump and dumping it in the middle of my basket (hollowed out a spot.

Today, lit a small amount of coals in the basket with a weber cube, contained by a small coffee can in the corner of the basket. I was able to bring it up to temp slowly and had a fire BBQ fire ready with out much effort.

View attachment 104887

TXLX, I use to use a can method but found my BBQ had a funny taste. It took a whole year to find the if you use Kingsturd that the chemicals used to make it would burn of as it light outward leaving a horrible taste to my cook. I found that if I lit a whole chimney and waited till charcoal was ashy white and dumping it evenly over the top of the basket fix the problem. Also a full chimney help get the UDS up to temp very fast. I also found to let the UDS burn for a bit (don't rush) wait for clean blue smoke. I did see you used lump so your method is fine but if in a pinch you use briquets be forewarned. I takes me 15 minutes to hit the temps I cook 275 usually with my method 1 hour though before I add my meat.

Well its been awhile since i have sifted through a lot of these pages. I finally have a UDS and it has been left unattended. What would be the best way to get rid of the rust on the inside without really getting at it with a sander? Will a good solid burn help? Or do I just need to suck it up and pull the sander out?

Depends on how bad its rusted. I would just spray it down with cooking spry and light the basket to kill any nasty thing that have grown in there. The rust should cover up quick with grease and smoke. if the rust is flaking off maybe hit it with a power washer first to knock off the big stuff.

I'd hit it with a power washer and see how bad the rust is. You might be able to scrub isolated areas with a stainless steel scrubber pad and clean it up easily.

Does anyone use the meat hanging rods in their uds like the pit barrel cooker does?

I'm planning to put some in mine but trying to figure out if i should make hangers for the ends of the rod to sit in or drill the holes in the sides of the barrel like the pit barrel cooker and the hooks n cooks barrel.

Here also something I was wondering about while building my uds. Most all smokers have the outlet vent in the top of the smoker. The pit barrel cooker does not, it only has the holes in the side that the rods sit in. I was wondering if not having the vent in the top but having it in the sides would create convention type cooking and maybe that is why the pit barrel cooker is reported to cook faster.

I made UDS to run like pbc.. Rods are inside barrel and not going through wall of drum...use a locking ring to seal top and have 4 3/4 in outlet holes... Works great.. Cooked 90 lbs of briskets by be able to hang them.

Just finished building a uds. I put in 3 rods to hang the meat. I install them through the side wall and also have the outlet holes in the lid but they can be sealed off. Now just have to get it blasted and painted.

Next one I think I'll make hangers for the rods and compare how it works to the first one.

I made UDS to run like pbc.. Rods are inside barrel and not going through wall of drum...use a locking ring to seal top and have 4 3/4 in outlet holes... Works great.. Cooked 90 lbs of briskets by be able to hang them.

Do you wrap after internal of 165 to finish or just hang until done?

I've been reading this thread for a while, probably close to month now. I only created an account so I can see the pics.

I just finished my UDS using, mostly, the Big Poppa Smokers kit and a SS barrel I bought locally. I use the term "finished" loosly, as it is in a cooking state, but I already have future upgrades in mind (2nd rack, heat diffuser, side table, wheels, etc...).

I was wondering how hard it would, be or even if anyone was up to the task, of creating a UDS wiki website. There is a LOT of duplicate (or more) information in this thread. Generally speaking, a 12,000+ post thread is a very inefficient method of storing information.

I have the vision, but not the time nor resources to undertake such a project.

BM

Back