Found an old BBQ in the trash yesterday, now I can easily move my UDS around, something I could not do before due to a bad back. Thanks for the idea fellow Brethren.

IMG_00000242_zps0c5fb17e.jpg

Perfect job of repurposing. Can never have enough shelves!

True, I realized that every time I had to lift the lid with one hand while balancing some meat with the other. I got tired of putting stuff on the ground so this garbage find was perfect, a little sanding and a couple welds and some paint and she looks brand new.

Nice cart. I did the same thing a couple months ago and love it. I left the propane burner on it and hope to put it to use one of these days.

First Post - UDS build

I finished my first UDS build yesterday. I thought it turned out pretty good, thanks to all the brethren for the different build ideas and designs.

Attachments

• uds.jpg
    uds.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 731
Found an old BBQ in the trash yesterday, now I can easily move my UDS around, something I could not do before due to a bad back. Thanks for the idea fellow Brethren.

IMG_00000242_zps0c5fb17e.jpg

Looks kinda like one I did. Same story. Pulled from the dumpster. Now look at her.
13+-+2

I am having a hell of a time finding lids. Lucked into a open top lid, but I have three UDS and one lid. haha. anyone have suggestions besides craigs list?

Thanks

I am having a hell of a time finding lids. Lucked into a open top lid, but I have three UDS and one lid. haha. anyone have suggestions besides craigs list?

Thanks

Have you tried "scratch and dent" stores? I picked up 3 almost complete kettles, for less than $50, last summer.

I thought it was going to get pretty warm but it doesn't do too bad. I seasoned it the other day for several hours and it was cool to the touch. It's from another gas grill that I dismantled for parts.

Anyone familiar with this type of drum lid? Appears to have two standard bungholes on the top along with a slightly smaller hole in the center. Just wondering if if anyone has used that hole for exhaust or should I just stick with one of the standard holes?

Anyone familiar with this type of drum lid? Appears to have two standard bungholes on the top along with a slightly smaller hole in the center. Just wondering if if anyone has used that hole for exhaust or should I just stick with one of the standard holes?

Never seen that before but I just found a drum with a bung hole in the side of the drum about 6" from the bottom. Never seen that before either. But it will be great for the initial air intake to get it up to temp.

Never seen that before but I just found a drum with a bung hole in the side of the drum about 6" from the bottom. Never seen that before either. But it will be great for the initial air intake to get it up to temp.

Yeah this lid came on a drum like that. It also has some sort of spike inside in the center on the bottom of the drum. I assume that was used for centering some type of agitator for mixing?

That's the exact se from as I have and Now that you mention it, if I can remember right my drum has a small spike in the centre of the bottom also.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I don't feel like reading 800 plus pages to find the answer.

What are my options, and where can I buy, open head barrels that do not require a burn out and sanding. I am happy to pay a little more to avoid this chore. Is stainless my only option? I am building a uds cart that will enclose a couple of barrels in 4 walls, so I don't really care how the outsides look, you won't be able to see them anyways.

Back