Ugly Drum Pot Roast

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Its time for another throwdown! Sorry for all the pics... When I actually go to the trouble of getting the camera out, I'm gonna use it.

This week's challenge is chuckie, so I decided to make a batch of my patent pending pot roast. I do it a little different from your run of the mill potroast, but ooooh man is it good. Time to get down to business

Today's stars- chuckie, turnip, parsnip, onion, sweet potato, garlic, sheetake mushrooms (this site censors the correct spelling, ****ake, see?) , tomatoes, coffee, malbec, beef broth, V8. See? Told ya this wasn't your mama's pot roast!

Found a good looking choice chuck. 3 lber

Rubbed it with some spog and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours

Fired up the UDS

Put chuckie on for some smoke once the drum settled in around 230. I used KBB and Cherry. Let him ride for 3-4 hours till he hit 150. I had a pan underneath to catch the drippings..

While chuckie is smoking, I started on the sauce. Prepped onion and garlic

Also decided to add about half a dried ancho chili. Love the extra depth these little guys bring..

Sauteed the onion until translucent, then added garlic and ancho. Let everyone get happy for a few minutes and added some Malbec to deglaze the pan.. I dunno how much, a cup, cup and half.. Had to test it to make sure it was acceptable, of course..

So bring that to a bubble, then add some coffee, a can of V8, some beef broth, and some nice dark beer. I used some Founder's imperial stout. Also added a little basil, thyme and oregano at this point..Bring to a bubble again, add some diced tomatoes and bubble. OK, Sauce is done.

Heeeere's chuckie

Threw him in the pot with the drippings -

Added the sauce -

Now its back to the smoker. I usually cover till it bubbles, then half cover it to let the sauce cook down. If it gets low, just throw more liquid at it. Take your pick which one or some more of all. The more sauce reduces the more flavor you get... Let it cook for 2-3 hours

Now time to prep the veggies.. I throw on the parsnips, turnips and sweet potato about 2 hours in. I add the sheetakes about 15-20 minutes later.

Off the smoker

Sauce was a little thin, so I separated the liquid, cooked it briefly on the stove top and added a little corn starch/broth paste to thicken it up.

Voila!

It was great! Nice smokey flavor, and the sauce is soooo good. Complex and savory with a touch of sweetness from the parsnips and sweet potatoes. Great food for another dreary snow day. Thanks for lookin'

Thanks Peeps, but I think you got me on this one. That dinner of yours looks OUTSTANDING
I don't know, man. I was drooling over yours!

This pic of it all getting happy made me have to wipe my chin!

potShot_zpsfc0a80b1.jpg

Thanks Will! It was damn tasty. My son licked his plate clean and beat us all done. He's usually the last one at the table.

Back