THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hoodoovoo9

Found some matches.
Howdy y'all,
So i'm up and running with my UDS, and have been trying out a couple seasoning/learning burns with it.
Initially i noticed that i could get my temp up to 325-350 and then i'd back it off and shoot for about 275. No matter how i adjust my 3 valves all open,closed, in between i cannot get it to dial in 275. 225-250 no problem.
So after the initial burn i raised the charcoal grate up higher to try and get more oxygen into my burnin' machine. But i'm still having the same problems after raising the grate.

Any thoughts hints for me?

How much will my outside temp affect my UDS? It's -22C here today with a considerable wind chill to boot. Don't always this place, but it'd be a lot better with some home smoked goodness.

Cheers.

Temps don't affect UDS much but Wind Will !! One fellar on here started a BBQ Shack in Alaska with 3 or 4 UDS. Keep them out of wind.

You have to experiment with how many hot coals to start with. Also more wood chunks it'll run hotter as wood burns Hotter than Charcoal. I run 60/40 Charcoal to Chunks.

What Charcoal are you running? I don't like Lump in my UDS - temps are up n down. I get good steady temps with KBB or Stubbs. Other guys love Lump in theirs....

What size exhaust are you running?

If you overshoot your temp by much it's hard to bring it down without choking the fire and getting Dirty Smoke. It takes 30-40 minutes to level out after closing intakes some.

Did you try it with meat added? It takes more air flow when you add meat/volume.

Smitty Jonz - i am indeed using lump as per a buddy of mine advised me that way, even gave me a few bags which is what i've been trialling. My valves at the bottom of my drum are three seperate 1/2" ball valves - i've been wondering if i need to size those up too. My lid is a weber lid with vents that i leave open entirely.

ebijack - Haven't tried adding the meat yet - gonna try it next week i figure.

My other plan of attack is to really really really load it up with charcoal, hopefully that'll help too.
i guess it's about trial and error to some degree.

As SmittyJonz says, wind can cause serious problems for the uds. I moved my intakes to the bottom as it is always windy here. Try to shield the drum next time, there was a thread a few days ago where a Brethren build a windshield for his wsm, try something like that.

You need more intake increase to a minimum 3/4"
Add a second daisy wheel to that weber lid make a Huge difference in available higher temp.
Good fire starting is also Key. I like to cook at 300+ I know that the installed thermo reads 40 -50 deg cooler than the center of the drum so I take the average of 20-25 deg (200 on the therm is actually 225 average temp across the cook surface) Knowing this allows me to set my temp easily. I start off with a basket of lump mixed with 5 or 6 man fist chunks of wood. I light up 1/2 chimney of Briquettes( for consistency) to get the party started once they are ashed over I dump them on top of the basket in the drum. I leave the lid off and I watch the thermo when it reads 275 I put the lid on cut my Ball valve by 1/4 and it will settle in at 300-315 and cruise until it runs out of fuel. Point here is don't be to skippy to put the cork back in the jug. Leave the top off until you have an established fire that is burning clean.

Last edited:
You didn't mention whether or not you had the exhaust "vent" fully open or not. I'm guessing you did. If not, keep it wide open. Outside temps seem to have a small factor on mine. I usually run just one or two intakes open (standard 3/4 ball valve and cap). That will normally keep things purring along in the 270 range.

You need more intake increase to a minimum 3/4"
Add a second daisy wheel to that weber lid make a Huge difference in available higher temp.
Good fire starting is also Key. I like to cook at 300+ I know that the installed thermo reads 40 -50 deg cooler than the center of the drum so I take the average of 20-25 deg (200 on the therm is actually 225 average temp across the cook surface) Knowing this allows me to set my temp easily. I start off with a basket of lump mixed with 5 or 6 man fist chunks of wood. I light up 1/2 chimney of Briquettes( for consistency) to get the party started once they are ashed over I dump them on top of the basket in the drum. I leave the lid off and I watch the thermo when it reads 275 I put the lid on cut my Ball valve by 1/4 and it will settle in at 300-315 and cruise until it runs out of fuel. Point here is don't be to skippy to put the cork back in the jug. Leave the top off until you have an established fire that is burning clean.

Mine has 3 half inch intakes. Runs like a champ. , and usually end up with 2 closed and 1 3/4 closed to run 250. I have never ever experianced different temps across my cooking grate,.. so IDK what that's all about.. I always run a full basket of charcoal and usually dump 10-15 lit ones on top. I always throw my lid on once I put the lit coals on top. It usually takes 30 min or so to come to temp. and burn nice and clean. I do agree with having your exaust all the way open. And, if you can dial in 225-250, open one valve, just a crack and wait 30 min. I see no reason for you to have trouble locking in that temp. if you can rock other temps. Keep playing with it and be patient. :grin:

Brother hoodoovoo9,

I use my UDS all winter in central Ontario - it's best to keep it out of the wind. I put mine beside the house with the side door to the garage open beside it to block one direction and a piece of ply leaning against a saw-horse on the other side. Some people wrap their UDS's('s) in Reflectix, but I find the wind-break is enough.

I'm with Bludawg, you need more intake and exhaust. With what you have your running a fine line with available air flow.
I never use my "daisy wheel" exhaust vent as it does not flow enough air to keep a clean burn going. But that is my experience. I cook year round even in single digit temps. My intakes are not straight just elbows ( sometimes I add stand pipes, but mostly don't use those, just the magnets) so wind does not seem to affect my temps.

I agree, you need bigger intakes. I tried 2-3/4" and 1-3/4" ball valve and couldn't run as hot as I'd like. I increased 2 intakes to 1" and it made all the difference (have standard 2.5" single exhaust).

Why in the hell would he need more air if he can already run temps higher than the temp he is trying to lock in. He just needs practice. If he can run 325, 350, 225, and 250....... he can run 275. Practice and experiance is all that is needed here.

Why in the hell would he need more air if he can already run temps higher than the temp he is trying to lock in. He just needs practice. If he can run 325, 350, 225, and 250....... he can run 275. Practice and experiance is all that is needed here.

A couple reasons, he has not even tried adding meat which requires much more air flow, with what he has tried it shows he is at the limits of flow control due to not being able to set/hold a steady temp he is looking for. He is either to high or to low for what he wants. He is out of fine adjustment/control. If he is starting his coals correctly, more flow will help being able to adjust the temps he wants to set. He is also at a different sea level than you. Air temp/pressure/density etc all come into play. Thru out the year, my intake adjustments very depending on many factors. It is always better to be able to increase the air flow when required than wish you had it and can not get the required temps. Quite a few UDS owners have ran empty and set their 250/275 for learning only to find when they add meat, they can not get those temps and have to add more flow.
I agree he needs to learn his UDS, and what temps he can or can not get. Doing it without food doesn't help his cause. The meat will help stabilized his temps once the meat gets going.
But that is my experience

He already stated that he can run other temps. I think he just needs to "get to know" his smoker. They all have a sweet spot that seems to lock in time and time again. Mine likes 250. Sure, I can run it hotter or cooler, but it likes 250. If I put my old basket in it, it likes 225. I have taken, and used my uds in Washington state. It ran exactly the same as down here. Well, it was a more expensive cook due to crazy grocery prices, but I had no problems pertaining to sea level. I'm not throwing out everyone else's comments and suggestions, just speaking from my experiance. With 3 half inch intakes I have all the air flow I need. Sure, as stated by others, new days bring new situations where you may need 2 open,.. or 1 1/2, etc. But, this comes all the back to knowing your smoker. Experiance is the key here. IMO. Of course this is all under the assumption that his basket is built correctly and allows airflow underneath, and his lid has enough exahaust. At any rate, there is alot of good info for him in this thread. good luck OP.

I think you need more intake also --

Meat will drop mine 25-40* depending on meat but it recovers in about 45 minutes of I overshoot temp just a hair prior - I like to run mine around 300* so I'll try to get 315* ish before meat goes on. Mine has 4 3/4" nipples and I'll cap one once it gets near temp but the other 3 are usually full open. Like I said I don't like Lump in mine. I've tried 4 different brands including RO and temps are up n down but steady with Briquetts. You just gotta experiment. It may take 6-8 cooks to get your smoker figured out. Every one will run a lil different so what works for me may not work for you.

It may take 6-8 cooks to get your smoker figured out. Every one will run a lil different so what works for me may not work for you.

I should have just said that.....lol..... I'm such an ass....:oops:

Thanks y'all - these have been great responses.
i've decided to try cooking something in the next week and seeing how it's works out with a totally topped up load of charcoal.... see where to go from there.
i'm strongly considering upping my intake valves to 3/4" but i want to see if the cook goes well first and yes do as many have suggested just play with it.

Anyone tried doing a tri-tip of their UDS? i was gonna grill it first and then try it and a hella rubbed pork shoulder.

Try to catch your temp on the way up..difficult to bring up to 350 then drop to exact temp. Easier ( for me ) to hit 275 on the rise. open up your intakes and when in the 200s start closing them slowing the rate of rise.

Back