UDS Temp Control

I was typing my post when you posted your pics. One thought the clamp ring on your lid do you use it to help seal the lid? or do you leave it like the pictures show allready on the lid.:icon_bigsmil

I was typing my post when you posted your pics. One thought the clamp ring on your lid do you use it to help seal the lid? or do you leave it like the pictures show allready on the lid.:icon_bigsmil

I had been leaving it off on my test runs. I have it on today after BBQ Bubba mentioned air leaks. Just learning and testing.

I had been putting the ring on when I closed it down for the night, my thinking that thermal temp changes could warp the lid. So with the ring on the cool down would not effect it.

So far today I have been going between 200º and 260º adjusting the valves back on forth. One valve open and I drop to 200º. Tried 1 valve open other 1/2 way too hot, both at 1/2 and still not dialed in. Looks like even with the temp spikes I can keep it between the 2 extremes. I don't mind adjusting the intakes, it sure beats the heck out of messing with reloads of charcoal. The truth will be in the finished butt. I will get this down!

When I did the burnout on my lid I warped it some. I was getting air leaks,when I used the ring ...problem solved. Keep messing you will get it. by the way I did 2 8lb butts last weekend one took 12 hrs and the other took 13 1/2 hrs:eek: sure hope you have enough adult bevarges to carry ya thru:lol:

Gator -- that's a scary answer----

I just pulled the pork butt off my UDS - put it on at 1:30 am - it's at 200 at 2PM -- no problem there. Put the fatty on at 12:15 and it's at 165 --- added some charcoal at 1:45, but that was after 12 hours, and it was still at 205. I just can't get it over that. I'll drill some more intakes, but after all I read, 3 - 1/2" seemed like enough. I'll go 3/4" and see what happens.

I just pulled the pork butt off my UDS - put it on at 1:30 am - it's at 200 at 2PM -- no problem there. Put the fatty on at 12:15 and it's at 165 --- added some charcoal at 1:45, but that was after 12 hours, and it was still at 205. I just can't get it over that. I'll drill some more intakes, but after all I read, 3 - 1/2" seemed like enough. I'll go 3/4" and see what happens.

Jack, before you drill more holes, what type of fire basket you got. I do not think you have a intake problem. Maybe the Pro's will post in.

Gator -- that's a scary answer----

like pork smoker says tell us about your drum fire box , how far from bottom, its dimensions post pics etc. just don't drill any more holes yet:icon_bigsmil

Three hours into cook.

Picture065.jpg

Its been about 6 hours now and been sitting at 165 for awhile, this may be done by 10... Got a late start.

Butt finished in 10 hours, even with the temp issue it is perfect. Open the lid for about 10 minutes now been running at 300º for over an hour with valves fully open. I am sure this 12lbs of K would go 16 hours easy, if I could get the airflow problem down.

This is what I noticed, this check is better done in the dark. I would expect the area around the intake to be hotter or the side where the exhaust is. This is not the case with mine. Looking strait on at the drum with the exhaust on the opposite side, mine had red hot coals on the side toward me, about a 1/3 of the fire bucket. I do not understand this, it goes against all theory of airflow and fire.

I needed to check every 30-45 minutes and make corrections to the intakes. This is something I should not need to do.

I wanted to say Thanks again for all the input on my question, this is a great forum. Don't know why but the phrase "Meet The Farkers" just popped in my head...

The final product... A little blurry, like me...

Picture069.jpg

Hey Pork Smoker, from one SoAz to another, welcome.

Where did you get that drum by the way?

I wonder why people put 2 valves on a drum. My thinking is have one control point. I have 3 3/4" nipples, 2 with caps and one with valve. I start my drum with one cap off and valve full open. As temp comes up I choke off valve. In the event i close valve I install cap, open valve full and continue to adjust. If more heat needed with valve full open, remove cap, close valve to 1/4 and adjust. Seems like balancing 2 or more valves causes problems and added expense.

I wonder why people put 2 valves on a drum. My thinking is have one control point. I have 3 3/4" nipples, 2 with caps and one with valve. I start my drum with one cap off and valve full open. As temp comes up I choke off valve. In the event i close valve I install cap, open valve full and continue to adjust. If more heat needed with valve full open, remove cap, close valve to 1/4 and adjust. Seems like balancing 2 or more valves causes problems and added expense.
On our next drum, we will use smaller nipples (1/2") and valve all of them. It seems that I can get a better burn in the basket (read-more even) with this mod. It seems that I would have to fark with it even less.

For my air intake I've got a 1 1/2" "car exhaust" pipe coming up the side of my barrel with a 6" long slotted pcv pipe(Capped) over the end. The slot is 1" wide and 4" long and by raising or lowering it on its friction fit I can control the amount of air and therefor the temp..I remove the pcv to start the burn and when the temp starts going up I put the PCV on and adjust the temp. On my barrel I usually have about 1 square inch of slot open to hold 225. The pipe is easy, lowcost and fitting for a UDS.The car exhaust piping is free and taken from the "error pile" at the muffler shop. I've got pictures but no talent to post them here. PM with Email if you really want to see.
BTW- my air intake pipe is 2" off the bottom and goes right to the centre under my basket. No problems with even burns even when I just light one side first.

Last edited:
I've got a 1 1/2" exhaust pipe coming up the side of my barrel with a 6" long slotted pcv pipe(Capped) over the end. The slot is 1" wide and 4" long and by raising or lowering it on its friction fit I can control the amount of air and therefor the temp..I remove the pcv to start the burn and when the temp starts going up I put the PCV on and adjust the temp. On my barrel I usually have about 1 square inch of slot open to hold 225. The pipe is easy, lowcost and fitting for a UDS.The exhaust piping is free and taken from the "error pile" at the muffler shop. I've got pictures but no talent to post them here. PM with Email if you really want to see.
BTW- my exhaust pipe is 2" off the bottom and goes right to the centre under my basket. No problems with even burns even when I just light one side first.
Is that Exhaust Pipe like the smoke comes out of it or is it like Exhaust Pipe, That's what it's made from?

Back