UDS Smoked Salmon

Hernlem

Name or Nickame
Hernlem
Smoked an Atlantic Salmon filet this morning. The pieces were dry brined overnight with 4:1 brown sugar to kosher salt and then rinsed and patted dry. Pieces were set on to a lightly oiled cookie rack and air dried in front of a fan for a couple hours for pellicle formation. Smoking was done on the top rack of my UDS with a pizza pan on the lower rack for heat deflection. Apple wood for smoke. I used my smaller charcoal basket for this job and used only one intake and then only opened a crack to try to get very low heat. Even so it was up to 200F by 1.5 hours and 225F by 2.5 hours when I stopped. Lowest temp measured in thickest pieces was 157F.

Attachments

• KIMG4929.jpg
    KIMG4929.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 105
  • KIMG4928.jpg
    KIMG4928.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 105
I can eat smoked salmon until it runs out of my ears.

I always wondered how you get a pellicle with dry brine. Now I know. :-D

Yours looks great. Well done! :thumb:

I'm sort of the opposite, 5 or 6 hours of dry cure then overnight in the fridge for pellicle . My fish smoker's high end is about 160°, and I finish about 140° for me, some fishing buddies like 150°. Experimenting with varables allows you to produce a stellar product.

What was the saltiness like?

Last edited:
That's understandable.Experiment with your cure time. I rinse the tail section earlier than the body pieces just because of thickness.

People that make smoked salmon spread often prefer a saltier product since the cheese cuts it.

Mmm...now I want to make cured smoked salmon. The side box on my Mak can hold a fairly low smoke temp, may have to give it a whirl.

Back