UDS Hitch and Wheel frame?

jd-santaclarita

Got Wood.
Hi all - One thing that would really make my UDS a little more functional is easy mobility. Both around the house/yard AND to come with me on the road. I haven't seen anything like it and not sure if its sensible and/or what a good design would be, but got to thinking a dual purpose bottom bracket or frame made out of something sturdy (2" square steel box pipe or something), somehow very securely attached to the bottom of the UDS that could provide a mounting point for some big wheels or casters as well as have a trailer hitch receiver of some kind welded in to allow it to pop right into the hitch receiver on my FJ Cruiser for road trips. I 'think' the tongue weight on the hitch is around 500lb, so it should be no problem on the weight. Not sure about what a good design would be AND how stable it would be or need to be. I guess if it was welded frame and bolted securely to the bottom of the UDS that would be pretty good.

Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas? Am I in left field and something like this already exists?

Thanks,
JD

Dang, you know, i recently bought a super nice heavy duty steel one from a local trailer shop, its a beast. I used it to load up the camp gear/coolers/etc and as an afterthought I realized the UDS was 4" wider than it is, bummer. I guess for some reason, i'm thinking theres a cool factor with having the hitch mount on the same wheel bracket. Maybe not though, not sure.
-JD

I attached hand trucks with u-bolts to my drum. I also have cargo carrier wide enough for mine to ride on.

Dang, you know, i recently bought a super nice heavy duty steel one from a local trailer shop, its a beast. I used it to load up the camp gear/coolers/etc and as an afterthought I realized the UDS was 4" wider than it is, bummer. I guess for some reason, i'm thinking theres a cool factor with having the hitch mount on the same wheel bracket. Maybe not though, not sure.
-JD

But this aluminum one is wider than a UDS and it would fit perfectly.

I wouldn't TOW the thing, it doesn't weigh enough, will wobble all over the place, and plus you need a trailer tag.

Back