UDS Finish & Broken In (with prons)

The brick structure behind the UDS is this. It will be my open BBQ grill/Fire Pit. I can restart that now that i finished the UDS. The right side is the grilling area (35x24) lined with firebricks & the left side will have a tile countertop (30x25) with storage underneath it. This is also my first ever attempt at masonry.

Last edited:
Dude! I love the brick grill. That baby is going to be awesome. That's a nice looking drum.

Thanks all for the good feedback.

BuckSnort,
My fire basket worked great using bolts for the legs. I did not paint the inside of the drum, yes it just clean and sprayed the inside with PAM to help season the drum during the first smoke.

biggs98,
The second grate closer to the charcoal basket worker great even though the wings and fatty were done sooner than the birds of course. next time the bigger stuff will go on the second grate.

smokestack willie,
Yep, next time the bigger stuff will go on the second grate.

polishdon
Yes, the lowest set of screws is for another grate to hold a water pan?

Well it's not so much the bigger stuff on bottom,it's about the chicken. I would rather have drippings on my chicken than my chicken dripping on my other stuff. I'm not saying things will not cook alright. But that's one of my petty little things. lol:-D It's all good.

Yep, i know what you mean about the chicken drippings. I did have more chicken on the lower rack besides the fatty. I should have just reversed the racks. First time smoking, next time i'll know.

Back