UDS build with Weber lid. Question about paint.

rightdownupleft

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
rightdownupleft
Found a Weber kettle lid that I started to grind the paint off of. I got the first layer off no issues. Seems like it's likely powder coat? Under the paint is what I think is a primer, it's gray. Do I need to remove this layer too? Or can I paint over it? I'm using rustoleum caliper paint.

I use the regular flat black rustoleum flat black on my kettle top. All I did was take and rough it up with some medium grit sandpaper and clean up the dust and spray. It's been about four years and held up fairly well. I feel like you don't need to goto clean metal. I think the caliper paint should be thick enough to even out pretty good. I may be wrong though.

No reason to spend a lot of time working on a bad Weber lid. They are cheap and plentiful on Craig’s list.

I use the regular flat black rustoleum flat black on my kettle top. All I did was take and rough it up with some medium grit sandpaper and clean up the dust and spray. It's been about four years and held up fairly well. I feel like you don't need to goto clean metal. I think the caliper paint should be thick enough to even out pretty good. I may be wrong though.

This is good to hear as I was going to just take a shot and paint it to see where I end up. Thank you.

I picked a dented old lid up off the curb a few weeks ago. They run $40-$50 on Craigslist where I am. I will work the lid to see if I can get it functional. Is the porcelain just a paper thin coating?

TKS

I picked a dented old lid up off the curb a few weeks ago. They run $40-$50 on Craigslist where I am. I will work the lid to see if I can get it functional. Is the porcelain just a paper thin coating?

TKS

It was pretty thin. I used a grinder with an abrasive pad to remove the paint... That came off no issue. The **** below the porcelain is hard as hell to get off.

da1c923f49f630a5b8dcd5ffe3b3f484.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back