UDS build. Need some ideas

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Hey you with the face!
So I was thinking of starting my UDS project this weekend.
How much charcoal should it hold? Heat shield or not? Water pan? No water pan? Flat lid or weber kettle lid? Ball valve with gas pipe nipples and caps or no ball valve?
Paint or no paint?
Two grates or one grate?
I notice the ball valve doesnt seem to really tune the temps on my current uds.
So not sure I need one unless hooking up a guru. Not using a guru and probably never will.
So yeah I am probably going to use this for competition not just home use.
It is likely if I cook next year in competition that my wife will not go. So I need something lighter than my 270. Might be selling that come spring but its staying for winter at least.
So what should it be setup like? Lets make it with just the features it needs. No bling. Lets make it ugly.

You will never get the stick burner results in the UDS...

I have been using my 30 gallon UDS for 3 years now.

Dont's:
Put a thermometer in the side of the barrel.
put air holes in top of drum lid this lets water in when UDS is not in use.

Do's:
get a dome lid (webber or a large 18.5" mixing bowl)
put bolt in to hold 2 grates (lower 3in) I only use the top bolts for grate
get a 17in pan and make a heat deflector to rest on bottom bolts
the ball valve does help control temps when the UDS is air tight
get the 18.5 onlyfire rotice unit!

As for charcoal basket - 13in webber charcoal grate with 10" expanded metal sides tubular shape and bolt legs...

I built one a long time ago. I used the charcoal plate and top from and Old Smokey. The plate has holes so it evens out the heat and the lid gives extra height, and has vents in in. I have three vents in the bottom controlled with magnets or balled up foil. I think the basket holds around 15 lbs, I never fill it up. I could run up the three grates, but that was pushing it. Did not use a water pan. This think cooks great.

Only you can decide what you want/need.
For portability, build a stubby ( 2 cooking grates and one for a drip pan/deflector) or super stubby drum. 1 cooking grate and one grate for a drip pan/deflector. If you are not going to require hanging meat. My super stubby will go 8+ hours at 300*. One load of coals. My stubby will go more than 16 hrs at 300*, one load of coals.
I use magnets for intake settings. Easy to move/adjust (yes they get warm/hot) perfect seal for shutdown. I had to add a smaller intake/magnet on my super stubby in order to have better lower temp control.
Any questions, just ask.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4234869&posted=1#post4234869

Attachments

• 24 in high.jpg
    24 in high.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 196
  • dual intake (2).jpg
    dual intake (2).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 199
  • Stubby.jpg
    Stubby.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 194
My drums are as plain Jane as they come, I love 'em and the only change I've made in 12 years is to supersize my charcoal basket, but I'm intrigued with all of the custom options that are available, and love the fit and finish on the Gateway and Hunsaker drums. Before going any further with your plans to build one, I would cruise every tab on this UDS PARTS site. I think the bolt-on risers for intakes are a great option.

Here's my $.02:

Definitely get a dome lid. Sacrificial Webers are usually pretty easy to find and you can use multiple parts from them for your UDS. The dome lid allows for a second level cooking grate and if you're going to use it for comps, you'll need the grill-estate two grates offers.

I've always used three 3/4" close pipe nipples as my air inlets; two with caps and one with a ball valve. I've always used PVC ball valves because they're cheaper and they never get hot enough down at the bottom of the barrel to get damaged by heat.

My charcoal baskets tend to hold about 5# of briquettes and I've made them from everything from expanded metal to wire shelving. They've been wide and shallow and narrow and deep. I prefer the latter, but the former allows for some cool mods that allow you to bring the coals directly up under the cooking grate for hot grilling purposes.

I've never used a heat shield. BUT... I have put 45* elbows on the INSIDE of the pipe nipple intakes. The elbows are angled to allow air to "vortex" inside the drum. I THINK this helps even out temps, but I have no real proof.

I've always painted my UDSs mainly for preservation purposes to keep them from rusting on the outside. I generally use Hi Temp Engine block paint and have never had any issues. I've also used BBQ Black paint which is essentially the same thing. Any "Hi Temp" spray paint should work fine. The engine block paint comes in more colors. :)

If you use a Weber lid and you want to match the lid color to the drum color, don't forget to rough sand the dome to give your paint something to stick to. Otherwise it'll just flake off.

Good luck! Have fun with your build.

When I built mine, I made it to hold 2 cook shelves and a third to hold the water pan/heat deflector. I have the extra space to cook more (if I need it). Use the shortest screws you can to support the grates, it will make it much easier to get the lower ones in and out should you decide to go multiple.

My minimum UDS requirements:
1. 3) intake 1" ball valves
2. 1) 4" exhaust
3. Dome top
4. Diffuser
5. A way to manage and access the fire throughout the cook

I used adjustable shelf strips and brackets in mine so can set grates per whats cooking or ad more grates. I have 4 3/4" intake nipples, 3 with caps and 1 with ball valve. It usually runs with 1 uncapped and the valve about half open. I've never had to "manage the fire" during a cook, a UDS will run itself if coal basket is properly setup.

I have a hook inside my lid that allows me to hang it on the side of the drum while checking temps etc. If you open the lid on a slightly windy day, you can get blasted by a smoke cloud. The lid makes a good shield, and I am able to move upwind with it in my hand before I hang it on the drum.

I'm a fan of the flat lid too- it has more built in exhaust than a Weber dome. Plus I only use one rack- so the head space a dome gives doesn't mean a ton to me. I will put another grate under the cooking grate- but it's just for those odd times that I want to run a water pan- or a drippings catch pan for- say- turkey gravy.

Back