THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.

Gorleen

Found some matches.
All,

I live in Northern IL (near Gurnee) and very intrigued with the Ugly Drum Smokers. Initially I was hoping to purchase a unit, but I cannot afford some of the prices quoted or the drive is way to far. So I have decided to build my own. I am not very mechanically inclined, but I am willing to put in the effort. Anyone in the area willing to give a newbie a hand. Looking for a mentor. I am tad nervous... I willing to pay - beer, food, cash whatever is necessary....

FYI: I have limited tools, never cut metal, and do not know how to weld - I am such a good catch :)

I believe I have located a barrel and will begin my hunt for parts this weekend.

Thanks for reading this post and I appreciate all the help I can get.

Gorleen ,
Am a newbie & relatively close to you. Am also mechanically incompetent. Just started my own UDS project with a kit from Big Poppa Smokers & it is coming along really well so far. Almost ready to burn & paint. The BPS kit is a great alternative & fairly easy on the budget. No welding or special tools required. Just a drill. Might want to check them out.

Gorleen ,
Am a newbie & relatively close to you. Am also mechanically incompetent. Just started my own UDS project with a kit from Big Poppa Smokers & it is coming along really well so far. Almost ready to burn & paint. The BPS kit is a great alternative & fairly easy on the budget. No welding or special tools required. Just a drill. Might want to check them out.

This...and it's set up to easily convert over to grilling/searing just by lifting the charcoal to a different level... Just a quality good looking unit.

Shagdog and Chris - Thanks guys... I am going to take you up on the offer.

Shagdog, if you can connect me with the source in grayslake for a drum, that would be great. I found one on craiglist, but I would have to travel to Elkhorn Wisconsin.

Again, Thanks and I will PM you both...

Shagdog and Chris - Thanks guys... I am going to take you up on the offer.

Shagdog, if you can connect me with the source in grayslake for a drum, that would be great. I found one on craiglist, but I would have to travel to Elkhorn Wisconsin.

Again, Thanks and I will PM you both...

Gorleen,

Look at the red line in my signature. He was talking about me. :-D

I'm sure you are all set as far as help is concerned but I am local as well (near O'Hare) and can lend a hand if you need one.

Big Poppa's kit will really speed up your build time however 15 minutes @ Home Depot will get you everything you need for parts. Shaggy and/or oifmarine will have all the tools you need. It really is very simple you just need to be pretty close on a few things and everything else can be fudged a little.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing progress pics.
Mike

Back