UD-erlee ridiculous

You can use tinypic.com to host you pictures.

With using such a small amount of fuel and smokin butts the liquid could also be putting out your coals. Get it loaded up and use the Minion method then let it sit without the meat for a while so the coal starts to transfer a bit.

Fire

DR KY I also thought about the liquid being a problem, I think the juices from the meat does put out the fire. My problem seems to happen when I cook more then one piece of meat, not enough draw thru my UDS. With one Butt on the rack the smoker runs great for 15-20 hrs and the smell cumming from the thing is awsome.

OK, tried a dry run on my new UDS last night and had a similar problem.

Got a full chimney flamin hot and dropped it on top of the charcoal basket. Basket had 2-3" of RO lump and 4 chunks of hickory.

Lowered the basket into the drum and let it burn for 10 minutes or so with all intakes wide open and the lid off. Then I closed 3 of the intakes and put the lid on the drum.

When I went outside to check it 30 minutes later it seemed to have lost a fair amount of heat. Four and a half hours later the drum was cold and the fire was out. 85% of the lump and hickory was un-burned.

I am thinking the fire choked from lack of oxygen. But would love to hear others thoughts. My build is fairly classic. Lid has 8 1/2" holes. All were open. The pipe nipples are about 2" off the bottom of the drum. There are 5 nipples (each is a 1/2" nipple) and they are 4 inch long. The basket rests on top of the nipples and is constructed of a weber charcoal grate wrapped in expanded steel. The drum was completely empty with no airflow blockage.

Help! I want to cook some fatties tonight.

OK, tried a dry run on my new UDS last night and had a similar problem.

Got a full chimney flamin hot and dropped it on top of the charcoal basket. Basket had 2-3" of RO lump and 4 chunks of hickory.

Try about 15 briquettes and let it come up to temp slowly!

Lowered the basket into the drum and let it burn for 10 minutes or so with all intakes wide open and the lid off. Then I closed 3 of the intakes and put the lid on the drum.

You closed it up to tight, need at least 2 open at a 1/2" to get enough air.

When I went outside to check it 30 minutes later it seemed to have lost a fair amount of heat. Four and a half hours later the drum was cold and the fire was out. 85% of the lump and hickory was un-burned.

I am thinking the fire choked from lack of oxygen. But would love to hear others thoughts. My build is fairly classic. Lid has 8 1/2" holes. All were open. The pipe nipples are about 2" off the bottom of the drum. There are 5 nipples (each is a 1/2" nipple) and they are 4 inch long. The basket rests on top of the nipples and is constructed of a weber charcoal grate wrapped in expanded steel. The drum was completely empty with no airflow blockage.

Help! I want to cook some fatties tonight.

Get rid of the long nipples, keep the charcoal basket 3" off the bottom, and allow more air, you'll be fine. :biggrin:

Try about 15 briquettes and let it come up to temp slowly!
Do you mean 15 briqettes in the chimney?
What does come up to temp slowly mean? Sorry, I am a noob with smoker fire making. Can you describe the process you follow in more detail?
I will make the modifications to the drum per your suggestions.

THANK YOU!

Start with 15 briquettes lit in the chimney. Put unlit charcoal in your ring, and I hollow it out in the center then put the lit in the center of the ring. Start with your intakes open, I have 4 7/8" intakes and as the temp comes up begin closing vents so you don't overshoot your temperature. I can maintain 230 with one intake hole open and the rest closed. One of my UDS has 8 1/2" holes in lid and the other has bungs in the lid. I have a 1 1/2 pipe in one and take the bung out of the small hole. Both will work fine.

Back