Two Book Reviews -- Serious Eats and The Art of Beef Cutting

SmokinOkie

is one Smokin' Farker
So, the family gave me two books. One thumbs up and one thumbs down.

First, Serious Eat which just came out, I have to give a thumbs down:

61ouWi48aIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I've been a fan of the website because of their "unique" take on food and some really good article. My disappoint in the book it reads more like a guide to eating Delicious Food than Making good food as the title says. In the introduction it focuses on about eating and seems to mention as a second though "50" of their favorite recipes. So a 368 page book with only 50 recipes.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun read so guess it depends on what you're looking for. I was disappointed it didn't have more recipes and explainations like their website.

The writing style of the book is good. I think too much is spent on restaurants, locations, etc. There are too many places that already do that.

Thumbs up

51q8JG2f-1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

While I know my way around beef, etc, this book is a very well written book explaining everything you want to know about cutting beef. Great photos. It's broken out by Primals and does a great job of explaining the cuts, how to extract the best. Example is it shows how to break down a full chuck or even a Should Clod. First good photos I've seen of the Should Clod and how to process it.

The books not for everyone, but if you want to go the next level in cutting, give this book a try.

Nice..... thanks for the input.
Have you ever read Smokestack Lightning? Seems it's back in printing. I had it when it was first released in the mid 90's. Great stories, history and photos of what I consider real bbq with out all the bells, whistles and hoopla of corporate America.

Back