THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Answers to questions:

1. Contest organizers purchase the boxes.
2. KCBS recommends a 9 x 9 box
3. You can only use the boxes issued at the contest by the Contest Rep, unless it’s an open category where the box is not required. The Box is always required in the four KCBS categories.
4. In the Midwest, the "Hefty" brand box from Sams is used the most.
5. At any contest you might end up with a box that is not a 9 x 9 but it cannot be partitioned.

Merl

Thanks Merl...

I find this really surprising that the rules are that KCBS only "recommends" the box size to be 9 x 9.. To me, this is a big miss in terms of uniformity of and consistency in judging.

and I think it's really odd that at the same contest, teams can get different size boxes.

That really needs to be addressed.

In the past, after turn-ins I have checked with the organizers and they're usually more than happy to give me 10-20 unused clamshells. I just tell em I need the practice! :oops:
FBA boxes are also 9x9.

Vinny,
You are very correct. When rules were written, I doubt anyone contemplated that two different types would be used. I agree it cast a degree of advantage to some.
Merl

Well same can be said for the South Carolina BBQ Association judges school , I would love to take a KCBS Judges Class one of these days , then compare the two . I am always willing to add to learning anything new about BBQ judging and cooking.

Back