Turkey Smoke help

Turkey is done...now in a resting time. Wife keeps wanting to nibble. Might have to do some hand slapping. Oddly enough both the breast and legs were done at the same time. Breast at 160 and legs were at 175.

Don't know if this helps but when I do chickens on my WSM, I always cut them in half and put the breasts towards the middle and the leg/thighs towards the edges where its hotter. I pull them when the breast hits 165 and they turn out perfect every time. I'm going to do the same with a turkey, I can't imagine there will be much difference.

Dave

Don't know if this helps but when I do chickens on my WSM, I always cut them in half and put the breasts towards the middle and the leg/thighs towards the edges where its hotter. I pull them when the breast hits 165 and they turn out perfect every time. I'm going to do the same with a turkey, I can't imagine there will be much difference.

Dave

That is what happened. I had the breast in the center, or just off center, and the legs were on the edge.

One question I do have, and all comments welcome. The legs turned out FANTASTIC. They had a nice pink smoke ring in them. Awesome. The breast had really good taste, but was pure white. No smoke ring to speak of. Why would this be? It seemed that the legs absorbed the smoke better than the breast meat.

Well, now I'm starting to wonder if I am going to get it on the UDS a little too soon. I was planning on having it on the UDS at 7:30AM so it would be done at 11:30, rest for 30 minutes and eat at 12. Is my turkey going to be done way to soon if I go on at 7:30?

Maybe.

If it's done early, you can always hold it in an insulated cooler (ice chest).

Who the heck eats Thanksgiving dinner on a schedule? Turkey day is all about the socializing and visiting. There's usually plenty of snacking going on and we eat turkey when it gets done. If it's late, it's late....nuff said, deal with it. :p

Maybe.

If it's done early, you can always hold it in an insulated cooler (ice chest).

Who the heck eats Thanksgiving dinner on a schedule? Turkey day is all about the socializing and visiting. There's usually plenty of snacking going on and we eat turkey when it gets done. If it's late, it's late....nuff said, deal with it. :p

Very true, Thanksgiving dinner may not be on time, but this was a trial run for just the wife, kids and me. AND THE WIFE LIKES THINGS ON TIME, so 12 noon it is.:p

Back