Turkey & Ribs on the WSM! Simi Live - 2 hrs IN

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Hey everybody! Its day 2 of nice weather here in WV! Went fishing Yesterday, no luck so Today I decided to fire up a smoker! Got the WSM fired up with two racks of baby back ribs, and a 14lb turkey! First day of this year I've been able to fire up a smoker and kick off the shoes!!

Here's some shots! This is the turkey! Rubbed with Oak Ridge Secret Weapon and injected with tony C's Creole butter!

IMG_1001_zpsghvtxrmw.jpg

Ribs rubbed over night with Oak Ridge Beef and Pork Comp!

IMG_1002_zpsqhngfw65.jpg

Here's pictures of the turkey and ribs 2 hours in! Looking gooood!!!

IMG_1003_zpsrjg1id4m.jpg

IMG_1004_zpsqnqegica.jpg

Bird is looking pretty, what temp you cooking at?

Taking a wild guess, bottom grate is around 300 top grate is 275 ish! Not running any temp gauges. I would assume to give 25 degree difference between the grates! But like I said NO IDEA! I know my dome temp is at 250, top grate is normally 265-275

Last edited:
Here are the ribs! Lightly sauced with sweet baby rays hickory and brown sugar. I cooked for 3 hours, wrapped in foil for 20, sauced for 10 and they are just right!

IMG_1005_zpsuwjf3dy7.jpg

The bottom rack must be pretty hot because the turkey got done at the same time as the ribs! Interesting!

IMG_1006_zps8rehadql.jpg

Thanks for lookin! I'll slice it in a bit and show ya the final pics.

Photobucket is still rotating my images! Checked the settings and all that jazz. Couldn't find a fix for it. Kinda annoying sorry for the rotated images!

The pink in your ribs comes from the salt in the rub and the smoke. They look real good to me.

I say your right! My ribs always turn out looking like they are undercooked. Very pink in color. I let these sit over night with rub on it. It's a different story eating them! Best ribs I've ate for a while. Still trying to work on my paranoia when it comes to food.

I say your right! My ribs always turn out looking like they are undercooked. Very pink in color. I let these sit over night with rub on it. It's a different story eating them! Best ribs I've ate for a while. Still trying to work on my paranoia when it comes to food.

The longer the rub sits on the ribs the more pink they will be. Leave it on for a couple days and you will have ham on a stick. The salt in the rub is actually curing the rib meat.

Try putting the rub on right when you fire up the pit. The pink will go away and all you might see is the smoke ring.

The longer the rub sits on the ribs the more pink they will be. Leave it on for a couple days and you will have ham on a stick. The salt in the rub is actually curing the rib meat.

Try putting the rub on right when you fire up the pit. The pink will go away and all you might see is the smoke ring.

Those look like hormel ribs to me. Hammy but still good.
Nice cook!

Good looking food!

I need to learn how to get the final product of the turkey to look like this:

IMG_1004_zpsqnqegica.jpg

I have even tried wrapping them when they look like that and they still turn out so dark it is almost unappealing to me.

Good looking food!

I need to learn how to get the final product of the turkey to look like this:

IMG_1004_zpsqnqegica.jpg

I have even tried wrapping them when they look like that and they still turn out so dark it is almost unappealing to me.

I really considered wrapping it in something at this point! This would of been a beautiful final product! Honestly tho you couldn't beat the final product anyways! It was great! I think the darkness of my bird was more from the BBQ sauce and juices from the ribs!

I agree on everyone's point on the ribs being "hamy". They were fantastic anyways. It was the first time I rubbed it over night.

I also wanted to add, I'm not sure how much effect the injection of the Tony C's butter injection had on the meat. I like the flavor from it but I could live without it probably. Just seems like extra work for minimal gain.

Back