Turkey in the Sauna: Step by step Dry Brine

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
John
Time to practice my turkey cooking skills in preparation for the big day coming up.

I figured I might as well do a step by step on the dry brine process while I was at it.

Started with a non-enhanced all natural ~12lb bird

picture.php

I wanted to show that you can in fact dry brine a frozen turkey, so this was a frozen turkey I picked up, I put it in the fridge overnight just to begin the thawing process.

The next day I unwrapped it, and it was still frozen, but at the least the exterior ice glaze had softened up. So I ran the frozen bird under the faucet to melt the rest of the glaze off.

This is what I ended up with

picture.php

It is still a frozen hunk of meat, but the outside has been thawed enough where brine will adhere

I applied Naturiffic Harvest Brine according to the directions on the package

picture.php

spread the dry rub around as evenly as I could and then wrapped in plastic wrap

picture.php

The turkey went into the beer fridge on Friday evening around 8pm

Monday at 12pm (~64 hours later) it came out of the fridge and was unwrapped to air dry.

At 3pm it came outside and lounged around a bit while waiting for the sauna

It (Tom Turkey) is sitting on a poultry pedestal, typically used for beer can chicken. I use it without the beer or the can, because, while some like to Spatchcock or lay them down, I like to cook my whole birds standing up!

picture.php

The sauna is a 14.5" WSM.
I like using it because I like to cook poultry with a water pan.

I loaded the WSM up with Kingsford Applewood Charcoal and 1 minisplit of Hickory and set it to run at 300F

Here is Tom enjoying the sauna

picture.php

After ~4 hours in the sauna, Tom was ready for a rest.

Note: I actually got busy and accidentally overshot the cooking time. The breast was 165F when I pulled it, and I typically like to take it out 10 degrees or so less than that.
Fortunately, this is one of the advantages of a brine, it extends your window to achieve juicy meat.

picture.php

Bonus Video:

Here is a short vid of the juices pouring out of the small hole that the Thermapen went into, once I brought it in to rest.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX4FrBAG8vk"]Juices flowing out of smoked turkey - YouTube[/ame]

picture.php

I should have had my hip waders on, the juice that came out of this turkey when sliced was serious.

picture.php

picture.php

It sliced up nicely

picture.php

picture.php

Plated

picture.php

I hope you enjoyed looking at it as much as I enjoyed cooking it!

It sure was tasty!

Turkey sandwiches was lunch today, and Turkey ala King is dinner

:biggrin1:

In summary: There was not any water or any other type of moisture added to this turkey during the brine.
The only outside moisture introduced was in the water pan in the WSM while the bird was smoking.

You can see the results, just as juicy as any wet brined Turkey with great color and texture.

If you are thinking about a brine on your turkey this year, I highly recommend you take a look at using a dry brine.

:thumb:

Last edited:
sweet thanks for the lesson, trying harvest brine on a whole turkey breast this week end. Out of the freezer tonight and brine tomorrow. Great color by the way.

Oh and have used the HB on chicken with great results

Very nice. I did my first turkey ever yesterday, also did a dry brine, but with just salt. I spatchcocked mine and gave it a mix of herbs/pepper for a rub and a butter injection before it went on the smoker. Came out farking great :mrgreen:

that's a great looking turkey!! I'm going to have to check my supply and see if I have enough of your dry brine left for a whole turkey.

sweet thanks for the lesson, trying harvest brine on a whole turkey breast this week end. Out of the freezer tonight and brine tomorrow. Great color by the way.

Oh and have used the HB on chicken with great results

Can't wait to see/hear how it turns out!

Beautiful looking bird, looks absolutely delicious.

Thank you!

Awesome post John......

This will be a great reference post for those who ask about dry-brining.

I hope it is helpful to someone. Thanks

that's a great looking turkey!! I'm going to have to check my supply and see if I have enough of your dry brine left for a whole turkey.

:thumb:

great looking bird. Thanks for posting the step by step process of dry brining

No problem! I cook, I take pictures..sometimes I have a beer

(ok ...most times)

Thanks for the post. I've always wet brined my turkeys but was thinking about moving to a dry brine this year - wet is a messy production. A few questions:

Did you rub the brine under the skin or just on top?

How much salt do you use? One of the things I like about wet brining is that you set the saltiness of the water and don't have to worry too much about oversalting.

How long is too long with a dry brine? I usually throw my birds in the bath the night before and have them on the smoker around 10 - so maybe 12-18 hours. Salting a frozen bird and brining/thawing at the same time sounds like the ticket.

Thanks for the post. I've always wet brined my turkeys but was thinking about moving to a dry brine this year - wet is a messy production. A few questions:

Did you rub the brine under the skin or just on top?

How much salt do you use? One of the things I like about wet brining is that you set the saltiness of the water and don't have to worry too much about oversalting.

How long is too long with a dry brine? I usually throw my birds in the bath the night before and have them on the smoker around 10 - so maybe 12-18 hours. Salting a frozen bird and brining/thawing at the same time sounds like the ticket.

Here is an article I wrote comparing Wet brine vs Dry brine, it will give you a head start.

If you can get some under the skin, it will help speed up the brine process a little. (skin slows it down, but doesn't stop it)

I recommend a minimum of 2-3 hours per pound (dry brines take a little longer than wet brines IMHO) and up to 3 days (72 hours)

Last edited:
I recommend the use of this product I over shot this whole breast it was reading 168-170 it was brined for 36 hrs super tender and juicy

Back