Turkey Fryer Basket as charcoal basket for UDS

AdamB76

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
AdamB76
I'm new so if this isn't the right place to ask gently point me in the right direction.

Any thoughts on using a fryer basked for a charcoal basket in a UDS?

Like this one

I was thinking of adding a pizza pan below it as an ash catch.

Thank you,
-Adam

Not sure about the fryer basket but I do have a 16"x2" deep dish pizza pan under my basket. It makes clean up so much easier. The one thing about the basket I would be concerned about is the small holes not letting the ashes fall out and suffocating the charcoal.

11" is a bit narrow... mine is built around the charcoal grate from a 22" kettle. It'll probably work fine with lump, just might not burn long enough for a 1-load slow brisket cook.

Might be a tad bit narrow -would not be my first choice. It does have the plus of being ready to go as-is. If it's your best option, I'd say go for it.

I'd probably cobble together something out of the expanded metal they stock (it's pretty thinnish- but better than nada) and 22.5 weber charcoal grate (it's about 18" across). My current one was whipped together with stainless wire (no welder available). Made a tube of the expando about 16" diameter- stitched the edges together (could have used nut,screws,washers) and then used the ss wire to secure to the grate. It'n not going anywhere.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun.

Like mentioned, at weber 17" coal grate from a 22.5" weber allows a larger area for more even heat across the drum. You only need 6" high expanded metal sides to hold enough coal to smoke for 15+ hours. Typically 1-16lb of coal. Minimum 3" tall legs. 4" is better for my needs.
Even more so when not using a drip pan/diffuser compared to a 11" dia. Which will get the drum much hotter in the middle.
I started with a 13" coal grate, and taller sides. Switched to the 17" and would not go back.
To give you an idea.
Also I do not use an ash pan (for years now). I use a broom/dustpan combo. Around $10 at HD.
After many cooks, the grease can build up around the inside base of the drum as it drips/runs down. Causing rotting, rust etc. I use the ashes to absorb that grease/moisture. Easy to sweep up and easy to dispose of. Better control of said ashes.
With an attached ash pan. You have to dump your coal and ashes together being bolted together. PIA IMHO. And messy.

Attachments

• coal basket.jpg
    coal basket.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0866.jpg
    IMG_0866.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Back