Turkey Enhancements

forgiven

My mom gave me a turkey breast and a whole turkey to store in my freezer for her, now she wants me to smoke them. The breast is enhanced with 13% solution and the whole turkey is enhanced with 8% solution. Should I still brine these or just rub and throw on the drum?

Thanks, Craig

I did a turkey breast to take for sammich meat on our vacation and it too was enhanced. I did a roast too so while the roast was smoking a loosened up the skin on the turkey breast until I could get spices on every part of it. I mixed some salt, pepper, thyme and sage together and rubbed that all under the skin. Then I pulled the skin back down to the edges and put a few toothpicks in it to hold it.

When the roast came off and the egg got steady at 325 I put the bird on the grill and rubbed Duke's mayonnaise all over the skin then closed the lid and let it cook. It came out a beautiful golden brown with crispy skin and when I brought it inside it made the whole house smell like Thanksgiving. The meat was very moist throughout. I have pictures somewhere that I'll try to find and post.

Back