THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dgaddis1

Full Fledged Farker
Ran across these at the grocery store last night. The package looked like a pork loin as far as shape is concerned, but once I opened it I discovered two pieces of meat that look kinda like chicken breast.

Anyhow, cooked them on the kettle. Rubbed with olive oil and Dizzy Pig's Pineapple Head seasoning. Cooked with indirect heat, 275°F grate temp, cherry for smoke, only took about 40mins to hit an IT of 140°F. Put them on the grate directly above the coals for about 30secs per side for a middle more browning. Turned out great! You could taste the smoke and there rub made for a sweet glaze. We ate one last night, and sliced the 2nd one up real thin for sandwich meat later this week.

vG3v13Dh.jpg

Does the IT temp need to be 165F to kill salmonella?

Well...yeah that's what I'm seeing 'round the web now that I take a 2nd look. Last night I did a quick google search on how to cook these and read a recipe that said to cook to an IT of 140, which is what I did.

I'll nuke the slices before making sandwiches just in case!

Does the IT temp need to be 165F to kill salmonella?

Pasteurization is a combination of time and temp. You can cook food to 140, but it will take longer to kill bacteria. At 165, you only need to keep it there for a few seconds. That's why everyone recommends that temp.

Take milk for example.
In the batch process, a large quantity of milk is held in a heated vat at 149° for 30 minutes, followed by quick cooling to about 39°F.

In the continuous flow process, also known as HTST (for high temperature, short time) milk is forced between metal plates or through pipes heated on the outside by hot water.

While flowing under pressure, the milk is held at 161°F for at least 16 seconds.

Both methods are acceptable for pasteurization, the only difference being how hot and how long. Lower temp means longer time. Same result.

Back