THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bastelwastel

Got Wood.
Moin Leute!

This year my whole family came to visit us for the holidays and so does the most of my wifes family. So we have to plan for 25 people (we ended up with 16 but anyway....)
We made several plans, talked but hams, briskets, lamb, smoker, grill, oven....
I convinced my wife that we at least try "This turducken thing everybody is talking about in the US". (Dunno if thats true, but me wife took the bait)
A Turkey isn't THAT obvious meal for christmas her in Germany, they are either goose or rabbit, maybe a duck.
First time I told my local poultry dealer about my plans, he pointed at me and says "You have some serious mental issues, my friend." :heh:
But anyway, he provided me with a 8kg Turkey, 4 Duckbreasts and 4 Chickenbreasts. (First think I learned, when I do my research: "Take Breasts. More Meat, less work")
Deboning a turkey is quite easy, as long you got internet, youtube and a tablet computer. :wink:
I placed my tablet beside the table and followed the instructions
CIMG5816.JPG
After the deboning I put the bird into a brine of water, salt, sugar and orange juice for around 8 hrs.
On christmas eve I started with the construction.
I made three different stuffings. For the turkey italian sausage, onions, leek and garlic, for the duck mushrooms, apples, chestnuts and onions and finally for the chicken bacon, garlic, ginger and shrimps.
All was heated in a pan, than I put an egg and bread crumbs on it, to bind the whole thing.
Then HAPPY STUFFING!
CIMG5824.JPG
At the end you have to sew this whole mess together. I highly recommend that you choose one of your closest family members to help you. It's much easier to yell at them and blame 'em, if something doesn't goes as planned.
My wife was a great help as usual.
CIMG5837.JPG
I seasoned the bird with some of the famous "Don Marcos PigWing Rub" and waited for the clock to bang "Twelve".
I borrowed a GMG Pelletsmoker from my dear friend "Don" Marco for two reasons. First: My oven isn't THAT big. Normal European size, not made for birds like this and most important second: I'm lazy. Checking for the fire the whole night? Naaaah....
So I put the bird on at midnight at 110°C (230°F), filled some water and white wine in the pan and put some fatty bacon and lard on top of the bird to keep the whole bird moist.
2014-12-24 23.34.08.jpg
Then I kissed the bird goodbye and went to sleep.
At 7 a.m. I stood up, removed all the bacon and the lard and emptied the pan from the grease and fat.
The Bird was on an internal temperature of 65° (149°F) so I set the smokertemp up to 150° (300°F) to get the skin crisp.
I took me 4 hours to get the bird to his final temperature of 78°C (172°F)
CIMG5850.JPG
I let 'em rest in a thermobox until it was SHOWTIME!
CIMG5856.JPG
So, what can I say. The bird was moist, the family excited, me happy....
We served the turducken with traditional sides "Thuringia dumplings", red cabbage and applesauce. (My father is from Thuringia and so the tradition lives on).
I skipped a traditional dessert (lemon sorbet, my grandma did this every christmas) and decided for a "Alabama Banana Pudding"
CIMG5871.JPG
Not my baddest decision at all....

So, everybody out there in Bretheren Land: I hope you have a wonderful christmas, enjoy the holidays, read ya' all next year!

Magnificent! I've enjoyed turdukhen on a few occasions but have only ordered one already de-boned, stuffed, and frozen. For you to just "watch a TouTube video" and get busy takes a pair my friend. Hat's off, great fortitude, and great cook!

Du bist ganz verrückt!

Looking ridiculous, brother! I wish I'd've been half as into barbecue back in '03-'04 as I am now.. would LOVE to bring something like this to my German family's table for Christmas!

Viel spass! (how the frick do I type an ess-tzet on a Mac!?)

Thank you all! I'm flattered :icon_blush:

how the frick do I type an ess-tzet on a Mac!?
Dunno, but no problem. You can write "Spaß" or "Spass" They reformed the rules of orthography a couple of years ago. Now you're free to write as you wish. (kinda :wink:)

Trivia: My mother in law hates me a little, I guess. For the last 20 yrs. or so, she were in command of christmas dinner. But a few years ago, my kids starts to grumble. "Hey dad, always the same dry meat for christmas, do something"
So my wife starts negotiating with her. Not that easy. In German we have words for that: "Sackhüpfen im Minenfeld" (My dictionary says "Sack race in the minefield") :mrgreen:
So thise year we finally changed to our place. And I dunno how much I heard "A turkey is not THAT easy, the stuffing is important, to get a duck right needs experience, that whole thing stands and falls with the gravy....." over the year. :blah:
But I think, I nailed it.....
On Christmas Eve she came up with the question "Which time you need the dumplings tomorrow?" I said "What dumplings? I already shredded tons of potatoes!"

"If looks could kill, they probably will" (Peter Gabriel)

She meant these premade pucks from the grocery store "My brother in law likes so much", which taste like styrofoam. Think, she bought 50 pcs of 'em.
Anyway.... I can stand the looks. She's in charge of New Years Dinner. 25 yrs of "Grünkohl". Didn't wanna break this tradition too. :-D

Last edited:
Thank ya' all again. Much appreciated!

As on every usual Sunday, we have Dinner at my Mother in laws place. Also as usual, one of her daughters (four over all) decides what to cook. It was my wifes turn this weekend.
"Okay something simple then after christmas: Mashed potatoes, gravvy and a bratwurst"
"Hey honey, I had this nice recipe from the Weber's Bible, these cidre onion rings as a side!"
"DON'T YOU DARE! THATS MOMS PLACE!" :biggrin1:

Back