Tucker Cooker Vs. Peoria Custom MMIF

OklahomaJayhawk

Found some matches.
Looking at buying my first comp sized smoker. I like the looks and price range of the Tucker Cooker and Peoria Custom MMIF and the fact that they will easily park in my third space in the garage. They both seem pretty versatile when it comes to size for bbq and firing them up for grilling for a big family get togethers when not being used on comp weekends.

Anyone have experience with or opinions on these two cookers? I had originally looked at Spicewine but they are a bit above the price range I am looking for and are not quite a versatile.

Whereas similar, I'd consider the MMIF over the Tucker for the insulation factor alone. Granted Oklahoma isn't the frigid north, but it still will get down. Having the insulation will help you in keeping your fuel costs down. I've seen the MMOF and the Tucker both in person (never used) and I'd pick the MM day-in-day-out of the two (and I'm considering the MMOF when I get back into Comps).

If you'd also consider other options, any of the cabinet smokers can be great, just need to figure out how you want your setup to be. I've got two Superior SS-2's now, which are great smokers, but have to load them in & out of a cargo trailer. At 300-400 lbs each, its a chore. If I had a porch trailer, they'd sit up well and I'd be a pretty happy camper with the setup. Take a look at Superior, Assassin, Stumps & Pitmaker, they all make some great cabinet smokers.

I have the MMIF. Last cooker I will ever buy. Have had it over a year. Ordered it from Bill and picked it up 45 days later. I did have a few upgrades put on the trailer and cooker. It's built like a tank and the craftmanship on it is second to none. Can cook or cook and hold at 2 different temps. Can hold in lower part at 160 and cook on upper part at 225 just by adjusting the dual stacks. Awesome for catering. I also bought the grill box for mine and can grill around 80+ steaks/burgers on it as well. With the charcoal/wood box full and Guru I can get 16-20 hours per cook without filling or tending. I use my Stump's now for comps but will switch to the MMIF in the future.
Not sure of the price of the Tucker's now but when I was shopping around the MMIF was about $2-3k more than the Tuckers but as mentioned it's completely insulated, versatile and built to last. I bought mine when they were running a special and they took $1k off the price. The number on mine is #212.
Good Luck on your decision.

Layne:

What made you pick the MMIF?

Do you use a Guru or Stoker? What has been your experience with temp difference in the cooking chamber?

I've had mine since March of 2012. This will be my 3rd season cooking on it both for home use and comps. They are extremely effecient and very well built. By using the stacks you can vary your temps and have ranges. It is very easy to cook on and solid as a rock. I use a guru but have also cooked without it. Just have to mess with the monster valve and the stack opening. You will not regret it. Bill makes a great cooker. Huge volume for cooking massive amounts of food in a small foot print.

Back