Trying to improve my brisket, your help please.

There's an application of Pepper you can be proud of. If you used Koshur salt or esp Sea Salt, expect a wonderful ring with your 220/275 technique.

Also, sounds like your going to flip it... if you must (and I have to laughinly comment that I too through THOUSANDS of briskets always swear I won't flip then Flip... I can't help it myself LOL) reseason it like it was never seasoned when you flip.

Got her on at 8:30 local time (about an hour ago). I have it fat cap down and at 220. I plan on smoking it for the first two or three hours fat cap down at that temp and then flipping it over and finishing it at 275. Here is the first pic, I'll take another at the the temp change/flip point

0126.jpg

LOL Okie! Yes Yes... as a Texan at UT you are raised to hate those old Okies... but when you leave the state and go up north... you know... Into KCBS country, you start to miss those old fellas because Okalahoma is where Good Brisket Stops. Uh... Unless Wall is in that state, uh, or Mills... uh... or hold it... did i step in something? What's that on my shoe?

Anyway... Okies are Top Notch in my book.
Pepper milds out and creates that Hill Country Flavor. That bacame the rub of the Hill country becuase it was so hard to get and keep spices back in the day. In addition, chuck wagons, which are limited on space and wieght, basically carried lots of salt and pepper and that was about it unless it was dried out onions.

I know what you mean about brisket not being a staple in Alabama. As a mattor of fact, the first brisket I tasted was the the first brisket I cooked. Looking goos so far.

I trim mine. Cook at 225 for about an hour then crank the temp to 275 for the rest of the cook.

The meat: Fat side up till it hits 130 or so, Flip (Fat Down) till it hits 165, foil till it hit 196, rest for hour.

Okay, brisket came off at 5:15. I would normally wrap in foil and cooler for about a hour or two. Not this time, that may be a factor in destroying my bark as well. I have it on a pan resting in my oven (oven off) I will let it rest for about an or and then slice, taste, take pics and report back.

Ok sorry for the delay. I had some stuff come up last night and never got back to the computer. I let it rest for about an hour in the oven. Took it out, sliced and was very very happy! I finally got the complete smoke ring I was looking for and the bark was nice and firm just what I was looking for. The taste was great, not quite as moist as I am used to, but we can work on that next. Try to find some sort of balance between bark firmness and brisket moisture content.

Anyway thanks for all the tips, tricks and advice here are some pics for you guys:

0140.jpg

0139.jpg

0141.jpg

0143.jpg

0144.jpg

0132.jpg

After the brisket was done, I ramped the smoker up to about 450 and cooked some NY strips for me the wife and our niece:

0136.jpg

0137.jpg

0138.jpg

matt.... I think the main problem is your cooker... :eek: You need to bring it back "home".......:biggrin:

That is one nice looking brisket.... I have to admit, brisket is also one of my favorites. I never had one until a few yrs ago when I started cooking them... Now I can't seem to get enough of them. When I do cook one, I always throw on an extra, and then vacuum seal it and freeze it for a "rainy" day.

The brisket does look a bit dry as you said, but the bark and smoke ring look outstanding.

I suspect that holding it without wrapping with at least butcher paper might have contributed to the dryness.

What did you think about the beef taste? Smoke taste? You might have said, but what wood did you use?

Beef taste Very good
Smoke flavor good I used 100% hickory. I would normally throw in some cherry if I had it. That combo works good for me with brisket

I'm with you on the not wraping thing, just not sure at what point I would be able to foil/wrap and still end up with good firm bark.

Beef taste Very good
Smoke flavor good I used 100% hickory. I would normally throw in some cherry if I had it. That combo works good for me with brisket

I'm with you on the not wraping thing, just not sure at what point I would be able to foil/wrap and still end up with good firm bark.

One time, try a brisket with Oak. If you can get it, post oak, if not white oak which is in the same family.

Looks to me like you are getting pretty close to where you want to be.:biggrin:

Back