Tri Tip

I called a meat specialty shop today. They said they were "out" of tri tip and get them when they can. They quoted a $4.99/lb price.

The flatiron steaks we get are cut from the chuck. The marbling is similar to a tri-tip, and I like them too. Here is the flatiron I can buy.

6a692530.jpg

I think I was misinformed because a quick at wikipedia shows the tri tip and flat iron as two completely different cuts. That does not mean there aren't some misinformed butchers interchanging those cuts.

I think I was misinformed because a quick at wikipedia shows the tri tip and flat iron as two completely different cuts. That does not mean there aren't some misinformed butchers interchanging those cuts.

Correct, Rockaway. The Tri-tip is from the rear of the steer, the bottom sirloin. The flat iron is one muscle of the chuck, which is the shoulder of the steer. The flat iron is the same part of the chuck as the top-blade steak. Just cut differetly.

Correct, Rockaway. The Tri-tip is from the rear of the steer, the bottom sirloin. The flat iron is one muscle of the chuck, which is the shoulder of the steer. The flat iron is the same part of the chuck as the top-blade steak. Just cut differetly.
Ahh, I was thinking that the pics of flat iron didn't look the same.
Do you guys trimm the heavy fat side? I've usualy leave mine on because when I have trimmed it I usually trimmed too much.

We have faith! Take a pic or 2.:biggrin:
I noticed last night that some ribs have appeared in my freezer yeserday, and no tri tip. So it'll have to wait for another day. I'll get a twin pack and make it both ways. Really shouldn't be too much different since I use indirect heat anyway.

California classic

Traditional Santa Maria Tri-Tip is seasoned with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and dried parsley. It is grilled over hot coals, traditon is red oak, but I more than happy with white oak.

I cook mine about 22" over the coals in a vertical barrel with lid on and can cook 3-4 roasts (10 Lbs) in 2 hours @ 300-315 degrees

cook to about medium rare a slice against the grain. Excellent with horseradish or with pico de gallo.

It used to be the cheapest cut of meat in CA, now it costs more than new york steak. enjoy!:lol:

Here is the 3# tri tip after trimming about ½# of fat off it.

After a simple rub of salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic salt and onion powder

Sharing time with the brisket. Panned the brisket at this time also.

Put in a chunk of pecan and this chunk of cherry (for Scott)

Flipped after an hour at 300* on the hot side of the smoker

It's got about another 15 minutes before I rest it. Got the potatos and salad ready:-D

Back