Tri Tip - Why Did I Wait So Long?

razorbrewer

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Rick
Well probably has something to do with the fact that I've only ever seen it in the local warehouse club preseasoned and cryovaced and I just don't ever go for that sort of thing. Then I noticed they had a package that was cut up tri tip and asked the butcher if I could get a whole one. Sure, no problem.

Seasoned it lightly with kosher salt and them hit it with Oakridge Carne Crosta. Set up the kettle with the smoke n sear, Royal Oak lump, and a couple oak chunks and let it get happy to 115 internal. Then seared it until med rare. Sliced thin and searved with a Santa Maria style salsa and grilled asparagus. Sorry no pics but it was excellent and if you've never cooked one I highly recommend it! Wife loved it too so it will be a repeat for sure.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Then I noticed they had a package that was cut up tri tip

I don't understand why they would pre-slice a tri-tip, if that's what you're saying.

BTW... Thanks for reminding me to take one out of the freezer.

I don't understand why they would pre-slice a tri-tip, if that's what you're saying.

BTW... Thanks for reminding me to take one out of the freezer.

That's how it's often for sale at the Sam's Club near me, though sometimes they do have whole ones out, and can usually get you one if they dont. I wouldnt buy them sliced. but clearly people do if they keep putting them out in the cooler.

sudsandswine is correct, and this was at Sam's. When I saw it I wondered why they'd do that as well but the butcher had no problem selling me a whole one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Tri Tip is only good if you can get it for really cheap like under $3 /lb. To me, it tasted similar to sirloin steak which I can get for around $5 /lb. Tri Tip is generally like $8 /lb where I live so there's no way I would choose to buy that when I can get ribeye for that price.

It used to be one of the cheaper cuts. Then it got popular. I'm happy if I can find it for under 4/lb now.

It's definately a west coast thing. If I can get them for $3/lb I buy several and freeze them. I like to marinade them a few hours in Soy-Vay Teriyaki Marinade and then smoke them for 2.5 hours....awesome-ness.

Back