Tri Tip in Australia Advice required!

The best ones I have eaten have not been seared at all, just evenly cooked goodness. Searing is good sometimes, just not needed all the time IMO.

I agree, actually. By the time my meat is close to temp, it's already looking pretty good. The sear at the end adds a bit of a crust that a lot of folks like, but isn't really necessary.

The best ones I have eaten have not been seared at all, just evenly cooked goodness. Searing is good sometimes, just not needed all the time IMO.

I just cannot believe there is no sirloin ends in Memphis. Ask a butcher to make a sirloin tip roast for you. Oo, the other thing you can try, a ball tip roast which comes off the lower round primal, right next to the lower sirloin primal. Sometimes called a hotel cut roast, it can be incredibly tender and beefy it roasted to a medium rare over low heat.

I just cannot believe there is no sirloin ends in Memphis. Ask a butcher to make a sirloin tip roast for you. Oo, the other thing you can try, a ball tip roast which comes off the lower round primal, right next to the lower sirloin primal. Sometimes called a hotel cut roast, it can be incredibly tender and beefy it roasted to a medium rare over low heat.
Wait, they do sell sirloin tip roasts. THAT's a tri-tip?:doh:

I absoulutly love Tri-tip; have cooked 3 in the last week and a half. It is one of the best cuts of meat IMHO.
I pull mine at 125 if you pull it at 135 by the time you let the meat rest it will be above 140 and will be in the well done range.

Sirloin tip can refer to either end of the lower sirloin, that portion of the sirloin that sits below the tenderloin tail. In reality, either the top or bottom part of the lower sirloin sub-primal will work. The tri-tip was the traditional waste piece from the butchering process and hence became the choice for large BBQ events in the cattle areas surrounding Santa Maria.

Guerry,

Have you checked Whole Foods and or The Fresh in Memphis? If they don't have it, I'm sure they can get it for you...

Jealous here Bill. I can't find tri-tip anywhere here and I'm still in the States for cripes sakes!

I just want to put in my 2 cents here. When cooking any thick steak, take it out of the fridge and let it come up to room temp. I usually take them out about 2 hours in advance. This is like doing a reverse sear. If you take it out of the fridge cold and cook, that center has got a lot of catch-up to do. While I'd recommend reverse sear for roasts and thick steaks (like what you have), they're not necessary for steaks thinner than 1.5". Take a look at the porterhouse or Strip steaks I did in recent throwdowns. The inside is very uniform and you don't have a cold, red, rare center. It is medium rare and warm to the core. While this appears a reverse sear because there is no gray edge, it was cooked hot and fast, about 3-4 minutes per side.

1558225_Gore.jpg

I agree wholeheartedly on making sure meat is at room temp before you start cooking it. I once ruined a pork loin by putting it on the grill after it had been out of the fridge for 1/2 an hour. By the time the inside was to temp, the outer part was dry and tough.

An additional advantage of doing the reverse sear is the opportunity to expose the meat to some smoke during the indirect phase. Meat absorbs the most smoke when it's not yet cooked. This technique won't work terribly well with a direct sear as the "crust" won't allow much smoke penetration...

I just want to put in my 2 cents here. When cooking any thick steak, take it out of the fridge and let it come up to room temp. I usually take them out about 2 hours in advance. This is like doing a reverse sear. If you take it out of the fridge cold and cook, that center has got a lot of catch-up to do. While I'd recommend reverse sear for roasts and thick steaks (like what you have), they're not necessary for steaks thinner than 1.5". Take a look at the porterhouse or Strip steaks I did in recent throwdowns. The inside is very uniform and you don't have a cold, red, rare center. It is medium rare and warm to the core. While this appears a reverse sear because there is no gray edge, it was cooked hot and fast, about 3-4 minutes per side.

An additional advantage of doing the reverse sear is the opportunity to expose the meat to some smoke during the indirect phase. Meat absorbs the most smoke when it's not yet cooked. This technique won't work terribly well with a direct sear as the "crust" won't allow much smoke penetration...

I absolutely agree that you get more smoke penetration with indirect, but I really don't have enough problem getting enough with a direct sear. There are so many factors, like the fires, the pit, the cook, and of course personal preference.

I must have barbecued a thousand tri tips over 40 years. Just treat it like a thick steak and don't cook it past medium well (using the punch test) but the most important thing is to slice it against the grain for tenderness.

With all this great advice... if I stuff up this Tri-Tip, I'm just gonna die....

Good time as any for me to pass on my first tri-tip experience which just happened to be today at lunch.

Rubbed em (there's 2 2.5 lb Tri-tips) with EVOO and then some crushed garlic. Then came the kosher salt and black pepper. Prepped some baked potatoes with EVOO and Kosher salt & put em in the oven. Also buttered some french bread for toasting.

Then it's out to the CHar Griller Pro to start 2 large starters with Stubbs. (My Lowe's 2$ bags of Stubbs, hehe). Once the coals are goin I poured each bunch into a pile @ opposite ends of the CG and then added a big chunk of live oak and let it get good and toasty lid down.

After much to and fro I decided to sear first and after searing moved both TT's to the center of the grill and cooked at about 375. My wife's a bit squeamish about rare meat so one came off at 135 and the other at 140. Tented for 10 minutes and well.......

OMG! It was AWESOME. I ate from both TT's while my son and grandson (he's not even 4 yet) devoured the rarer of the 2. The leftover from 2nd went into the fridge and later tonite was sliced and put into flour tortillas for fajita duty.

For anyone who hasn't tried it yet....if you can find em where you live go get em! I only have one store here and they range from 4-5 bucks a pound. I've bought several over the last few weeks and stashed em into the freezer. They won't be there long, I'll tell ya that. I had no camera 2day but next time there will be PRON.

Back