Tri tip help

stan5677

Full Fledged Farker
Picked up my first tri tip and wanted to fix her on up. I have some TX Brisket Rub I’ll season it with. Looking for a nice medium rare I have my pellet grill and kettle with slow n sear any tips tricks and finish temp would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some folks will tell you bring it up slowly and reverse sear. Yes, it can be done that way, but its very easy to overshoot, IMHO.

I'm of the camp where you go hot sear on the SNS first, then move indirect to finish it. Aim for about 127-128 in the thickest part of the tri tip. That should be close to medium rare after the rest. The tips will be more toward well. Treat it like a steak and not like a brisket. Hot to start and let it come up where you want it.

That TX rub is an excellent choice. Use a little EVOO as a binder. Add some garlic and a pinch of rosemary to the TX if you have it. There are a couple more tricks and nuances, but that should get you started.

The most important thing about tri tip is how you cut it. Sometimes the grain stays the same direction and sometimes it curves. There is a graphic floating around on how to do it. Cut it cross grain. If you cut it with the grain and then slice it that way it will be super chewy. Sometimes you have to turn the meat, not your knife.

Good luck! You've got this!

Slow and Sear works great for tri tip. Cook indirect to 120*, then open the lid and let the coals heat up and sear it over the live coals.

The most important thing about tri tip is how you cut it. Sometimes the grain stays the same direction and sometimes it curves. There is a graphic floating around on how to do it. Cut it cross grain. If you cut it with the grain and then slice it that way it will be super chewy. Sometimes you have to turn the meat, not your knife.

An important piece of advice for someone new to TriTip, Mike! Here's an image that shows the grain:

iu

Some folks will tell you bring it up slowly and reverse sear. Yes, it can be done that way, but its very easy to overshoot, IMHO.

I actually find it easier to overshoot doing regular sear. Reverse is super easy as long as you rest after the low part. Then sear and eat right away

Marinate in soy sauce, ginger, w sauce, and garlic, then into sous vide at 130 degrees for a few hours. I like to rest them in the fridge after that, then sear over hot coals directly before serving. Great for entertaining, perfect meat in ten minutes to serving time! Slice it like a tri tip guru and become legend!

Cutting

Taking Moose’s photo a little further, here’s a photo showing how the grain can change direction on some roasts. The black line is your first cut and then slice across the grain or perpendicular to the white grain direction lines…

Enjoy!

B892E8F4-839B-442C-9E1A-3BFDEE362AD4.jpg

Back