Trash it or go for it????

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
My neighbor thought he had a pork shoulder in the freezer from a while ago... well he had a whole primal rib roast … sticker is from 4/20/17 in original cryovac.

He already started thawing it. Cook it or put it in the trash?

I think from a food safety perspective it is fine, but will the flavors be messed up? Hmmmmmmm….

g38TVlSl.jpg

3X0dKTtl.jpg

I would cook it and eat it. You won't know the difference. I have whole steers butchered, and it is nothing, for me to have meat for several years. If it is vacuum sealed and frozen, it is fine.

Good deal! I knew it was ok food safety wise, but wasn't sure about the taste. Thanks.

Generally, well sealed up meat is good in the freezer for a couple/few years, methinks. I've never done it with a rib roast, and I don't think flavor would be a problem - now - texture is something that might be affected, but I really can't speak to that from experience, so I'd be very interested in hearing how this turns out.

That's a great mistaken discovery! I'd gladly cook that baby up and enjoy.

Frozen in the cryovac = just fine. I've had steaks get lost in the back of the freezer for 7 (!) years that I sealed with a food sealer and the were 99% perfect. That primal is gonna be just fine my friend.

Frozen in the cryovac = just fine. I've had steaks get lost in the back of the freezer for 7 (!) years that I sealed with a food sealer and the were 99% perfect. That primal is gonna be just fine my friend.

7 years ain't nothing. Scientist's are thawing Woolly Mammoth's in the Perma Frost that show mo sign of rotting. I would smoke a Woolly Mammoth leg and eat it just to say ive eaten Woolly Mammoth. I bet its delicious.

Actually I do have some over 40 year old ones. Might not be quite as old as the mammoth, but 10,000 BC was not a very good vintage anyway.

Actually I do have some over 40 year old ones. Might not be quite as old as the mammoth, but 10,000 BC was not a very good vintage anyway.

Imagine the fruits they might have had back then that are now extinct? A grape we don't even know exist today.

I wish I had the kind of money to drop that much on a hunk of meat and completely forget about it.

I agree, if I bought a $120 hunk of meat, I would think about it every day....

Back