Transporting Equipment to a Competition

You can also rent a truck from rental car places and use it for a Uhaul trailer.

That actually could be even cheaper, a rental place shouldn't charge mileage. I think that may just work. I'll need to do the tent thing, but I have a really good REI one that works with weights and a sturdy footprint.

Hey there ITBFQ. I was thinking about entering the amateur contest at the Red, White and BBQ in Westmont. This would be my very first contest, so I thought it best to start small and get some info and advice from you guys first.

Hey there ITBFQ. I was thinking about entering the amateur contest at the Red, White and BBQ in Westmont. This would be my very first contest, so I thought it best to start small and get some info and advice from you guys first.

Westmont is a great contest. We've been there as either a cook or judge every year.

There is also a small contest in Des Plaines in february that is a lot of fun. The 2015 dates haven't been announced yet but here is the 2014 info...

http://www.kresmokers.net/news/winter-burn-2014

Ohhhh, not bad at all.

This thread got me thinking more and the smoker I am planning on is too tall for the van door (I need to confirm), but something like that would work with a uhaul pickup or the rental place you linked above!

Thanks!

You can lay the smoker on it's back and use a piece of carpet as a pad, and the carpet will also help you slide it into the van/truck. Tilting it back into the van should be fairly easy for two people.

We drove our RV from Rhode Island to Laughlin, but we are crazy anyway. :becky:

UHaul trucks you will pay mileage charges on. Trailers you won't. The UHaul web site has a tool that will figure out how much trailer you can tow based on your tow vehicle. They do have small trailers that can be towed by a car without a hitch, so that could be an option if you don't have a lot of heavy stuff to move. Hopefully you are using a light smoker like a UDS or a WSM. If you have a Spicewine, you won't be pulling it with a car.

I'm looking at a Humphrey's, so not the lightest, but not a Spicewine either.

I just mapped out next year's competitions (my first year) with the help of egorham, and it looks like I can stay within 100 miles or so of my house and still hit 4 or 5. That's probably a good number to start with. At the end of the season I can evaluate where I want to go with it.

I'm not opposed to buying a towing vehicle for competitions, I'd just rather not unless I know for sure it's something I'm going to keep doing for a long period of time.

Wonder about the leaning it on its back thing...

I loaded an FEC100 on it's back (on carpet) for a good while. Since you're just starting out, you should consider starting with WSMs until you decide you're ready to invest big dollars. That way you've got lots of money for practice, schools, etc.

Back